Housing for rebel or diff setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vagabonding

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm finally looking into getting to gear for u/w photography. I've mostly rented or borrowed setups in the past. I've been reading and doing a lot of searches on these boards and I wanted to get a few broad suggestions to help me continue my research.

I currently own a rebel xt. I previously owned the film rebel and I have greatly increased my manual photo skills over the past few months.

I go on pretty much two big scuba trips a year and some smaller getaways.

I'm debating what would be the best equipment for me to buy, taking into consideration cost vs. actual usage.

1. Based on planned usage, is it worth while for me to sink the min $1800 to buy the ikelite and compatible strobe/port to use with my Rebel XT.

2. Would it make more sense to get another all inclusive system like Sea & Sea digital package and spend around a grand plus?

Concerns with buying ikelite system: can only be used with rebel xt, shelf life of rebel xt -- can i really expect it to last as long as my film slr (10 years), did i mention costs?

Concerns with sea & sea or similar system: while it would be great for learning basics of u/w photo, I wouldn't be able to use manual settings like I would on a slr.

I know I really need to weigh the options myself, just looking for input from people in a similar situation.

Thanks!

It's a toughie, for sure.

You'll love the Rebel underwater in the Ike housing. You are already used to the camera itself and know what it can do.

You could get a smaller digital camera, non-dslr, plus housing & strobe etc. This is a nice backup and carry all the time option. Many have full manual controls and their housings accept add on lenses etc as you want to expand.

I guess, if it were me, my biggest question would be: do I want to really concentrate on underwater photography? If yes, then I'd hit the Ike's etc. If no - I want to learn uw photo and/or bring back some really nice shots, but not spend my whole dive time dealing with it, then I'd look at one of the other digital cameras with housing etc. Also a good way to get your feet wet...for a smallish cash outlay you can see if you love it -and if you do, then buy the housing for the dslr.

sea and Sea wouldn't be my first choice, but that's just mho.

Have fun shopping!

The way I look at my dSLR setup is that much of my longer term investment is in a good set of lenses and a good lighting system. Not that the camera body and housing are disposable, but I do expect at some point that they will be replaced. So if you've already got a bit of an investment into a Canon Rebel and some lenses, it's not a huge leap to get it set up for underwater usage, although the lenses you use topside may not necessarily be optimal for underwater use. Even if you decide in a few years to upgrade, I'm sure there will still be value in the camera body and housing, so selling it off shouldn't be a problem.

I faced the same question regarding getting a housing for a dSLR or getting a complete (cheaper) PNS setup. I took a PADI UW Photo class and an instructor was kind enough to let me use his dSLR rig, twin strobes, for one of the dives. That absolutely convinced me, no questions asked, that I would NEVER take my SLR underwater.

I have a small PNS with housing that will fit into my BC pocket unless I attach a strobe. But even with the strobe, it is easy to handle, easy to use, doesn't get in the way, etc.

I will be getting a new PNS (better lens, bigger LCD!) soon -- but for me, the picture quality of the PNS's is close enough and the hassle (not to mention expense) of the SLR setup just isn't worth it. (Oh, and I do use the video capability of my PNS and really enjoy it -- something I can't do with my SLR.)

I started out with a Sealife Reefmaster 35mm with the strobe and got some terrific shots out of that. I then went and bought the Ike housing for my Sony F-707 but couldn't afford a strobe for it. I'm sure the pics would be great with a strobe on the digital housing but to be honest with you I hate carrying the thing around underwater and hardly ever use it anymore. I'm even considering buying another Sealife just so I don't have to worry about the hassle of the Ikelite. If you plan on spending the 2-3 dives you do each year entirely concentrated on photography then you'd probably be happier with the housing but if you're just kind of casually into it and would rather concentrate more on the dive and maybe take home a few good shots at the same time I'd go with something simpler that you can clip off to your BC and not have to worry as much about.

DSLR's rock... but...

It's big, it's more difficult to travel with, and did I mention it's BIG!!!

However if I were considering spending $1000+ on a Point and Shoot solution, and already had a body and lenses that I could get into a housing for under 2K, IMO there is only one choice... DSLR.

PnS solutions are capable of producing good results, however they are a compromise in quality both in the way they have to be shot (shutter lag/slow focus) and quality (noise/small sensors/resolution). DSLR's blow away PnS in those aspects, but did I mention they are big :D Big makes it a bit more of a hassle to travel with as well....

I guess it comes down to what RU going to do with the images, and what is *good enough* for you?

I think you will also find that many people that are serious about photography start out with PnS solutions, and guess what they end up with? Hint....it's BIG!

Good Luck,

I have a sigma DC 18-200. a 50mm macro, and I still have the original kit lens that came with the camera.

I'm partial to canon as I've had very good experiences with them over the years.

If i do not go with the ikelite housing for my rebel xt, I'm looking at the Powershot sd500.

Are canon branded u/w housing units reputable (ikelite doesn't make one for the sd500)? If i went with the sd500 I'd make sure I got a nice strobe, most likely an ikelite.

so costs of around $1200 for a new digital camera and all the necessary accessories vs. $1800 for the rebel xt housing.

Thanks for the advice everyone -- I'm going to mull it over and hope there are some killer deals due to the upcoming holidays.

thanks!

Yup, canon housings are great. I currently have two. Nary a problem with them.

Get used a lot by a whole lot of people - I use them with students etc.

When you get a strobe, make sure you get the bits needed to fire it with this setup as you can't hard wire it into the canon housing. Inon uses a fibre optic cable; Ike I think has a little unit that you will need as well as the strobe. Ask Ryan at Reef Photo & Video - be aware that they still don't have power (FL) but he is trying to answer emails!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom