Hurricane Wilma Disaster Fund

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquabroad

Reaction score
OK all you divers out there, now is the time to stand up and be counted. The Riviera Maya and Cozumel have been devastated. I have been diving Cozumel for over 15 years, my daughter now lives there and after I finally contacted her (she contacted me Monday via a phone at the internet) at least I know she is safe. Most of the information available has been about Cancun and the Riviera Maya which will take first priority in relief efforts. BUT Cozumel is in dire need of help. Passenger ferries have started running again -- they are hoping that the Car Ferry pier will be repaired enough for ferries to start again Friday to bring supplies. The pier at Puerto Langosta is still there, though the Langosta Mall is wiped out (including Sr Frogs and Carlos'n Charlies for all those that have happy memories of those places). The cruise ship pier has gone-- good news for Paradise Reef. The majority of the hotels won't be open for business until December -- and only then with limited facilities.

I know, I know guys, the hurricane hit Florida, but it was a Cat 2 when it hit not the Cat 5 that pummeled the Yucatan. Plus it was travelling at 20-25 miles per hour, not the 3 miles per hour that held it over the Yucatan for three days -- rather like 4 or 5 hurricanes hitting one after another. While I feel heartsick for the Floridians my real concern is for the people of the Yucatan, many who have no homes, no jobs now and no money coming in. I am heading to Cozumel Friday once Copa starts it's flights again from Panama City (I live in The Republic of Panama) with suitcases full of food, water, baby formula and anything else I can grab. Food is in short supply and water is even less available.

Please, please, all you guys who have ever dove Cozumel, the Cenotes or even just been to the Riviera Maya to "chill out", donate now. There is a WONDERFUL web site www.can****ravelonline.com that is taking donations. The guy who has been working through this web site "ScubaKevin" has been constantly working since last Thursday, before Wilma hit. He has given information, given aid to people there, contacted family members and has been my only true source of information since this nightmare began. Donations start at $5. Think about those wonderful people of that area who now have nothing. The Mexican Government as donated $200,000 in aid relief which will go nowhere. If you have any connection whatsoever with the Yucatan, I urge you to give, just five dollars will help.

Thank You
Aquabroad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom