Deckplans of the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vtdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know where I can get a set of deck plans to the Spiegel Grove? I am heading a trip down to the Keys in Feb, and we have a couple of dives planned on the Grove. I'd like to look over the deck plans and get a feel for the layout, see points of interest and get somewhat oriented before we dive. I did a Google search to no avail, so any help would be appreciated.
C-Dawg

floating around. They're screen printed onto large white plastic cards, similar to the ones NOAA has for the older wrecks, only with more detail, and cutaway views. I'm not sure who produces them, but if HarleyDiver is reading this, perhaps he'll be kind enough to post the copyright and/or contact info (if there is any) printed on the cards.

I'm not sure which shops stock them, but I'd check with Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center, Ocean Divers, and World Watersports for starters. Good luck, and enjoy your dives on the Spiegel Grove!

I know quite awhile ago I checked into buying one for the Thunderbolt wreck off Marathon and the dive shop told me they were only available to local operators through the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS). I've since found one at another dive shop but I think that may have just been a fluke as I've never seen them since. A good place to start may be the FKNMS website at:

http://www.fknms.nos.noaa.gov/sanctuary_resources/shipwreck_trail/welcome.html

They have the other wrecks in the Shipwreck Trail listed there with diagrams, no Grove but they may be able to help you if you contact them. Good luck!

aquaholic901:
I know quite awhile ago I checked into buying one for the Thunderbolt wreck off Marathon and the dive shop told me they were only available to local operators through the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS). I've since found one at another dive shop but I think that may have just been a fluke as I've never seen them since. A good place to start may be the FKNMS website at:

http://www.fknms.nos.noaa.gov/sanctuary_resources/shipwreck_trail/welcome.html

They have the other wrecks in the Shipwreck Trail listed there with diagrams, no Grove but they may be able to help you if you contact them. Good luck!
Thanks to both of you for the info. I'll try the link and call the dive operators I'm using and see if they can help.
Thanks again,
C-Dawg

I remember a man (probably the owner) at the Ocean Divers shop talking about a detailed plan of the Spiegel that was made quite some time ago. But it was essential a floor plan, and not really a "dive map" and also is not for sale at the moment. He was going to show it to me, but couldn't find it at that time. He says there's nothing he knows of right now that's good, and for sale. Of course, this isn't really definite so it's still worth a search. I've also been wanting one for while.

The best I've seen was a blown up aerial shot of the Spiegel that I saw on a Silent World trip. I think that picture was found on the web, but it's not quite a top down shot.

If anybody finds out any further info, let us know. It's a question I've seen asked before and never definiticely answered. I've googled and yahooed all over the net and haven't found any such animal. I've seen those who claim to have private plans and those who claim to be mapping it for divers but nothing published yet. My dive club has a trip planned for mid November and it would be nice to find out something. I've also looked unsuccessfully for scale models.

Maybe it's a question to take to the military vet forums.

Reefhound - When will your group be diving the Speigal? I plan to dive in Key Largo Nov 14 through the 17, and I may be looking for a buddy to dive the Speigal...

Which Dive Op will you be diving with?

Nomad:
Reefhound - When will your group be diving the Speigal? I plan to dive in Key Largo Nov 14 through the 17, and I may be looking for a buddy to dive the Speigal...

Which Dive Op will you be diving with?

Unfortunately, we'll be leaving just before you arrive. It's an extended weekend for us, arriving Thurs. 11/10, diving Fri/Sat, then flying out Sunday evening. We booked with KeyLargoBrent at BlueWater Divers.

Don't worry, all the dive ops will see that you have a buddy even if it means tripling up. You don't have to show up at the dock with a pre-arranged buddy.

Also, Indiana Univ. I believe has a mapping project going on. You may try contacting them. I remember the project had a homepage. Can't remember if they had a contact on the page tho...

I was at a point where I was thinking of doing a 3D model of the ship if I could find the blueprints.. alas, I couldn't find one. But I did find a bunch of prints for other ships..

contact Rob Blasser at Quiessence Diving in Key Largo.

Rob was the "person" in charge of the sinking/flipping.

surely someone in his group had a set of plans, though I'm not
sure if he'll be much help to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom