Alternative Harness Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cebudiver

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just recently purchased a back plate from Philtech in the Philippines. Its great no problems with the back plate. I also purchased from Philtech a continous weave harness system. Now their harness is configured differently compared to the other harness confirgurations that I have seen.

It comes over your left shoulder and into your rite hip, then over your rite should and clips onto a quick release that is connects to your left hip. Therefore, an X is created on your chest where the D-rings are located.

My question is this, has anyone tried out this configuration before, and are there any drawbacks to it?

Thank You.

cebudiver,

I think you've got that wrong - there's no way that the straps are supposed to cross over your chest.
Instead, they cross behind your neck. Some harness systems I've seen do that, because it supposedly provides a snugger fit, compared to the standard way of rigging a harness (I can hardly imagine that that is true, but have not tried it, so it just may be).
Just imagine what contortions a diver would have to perform to get into a harness whose straps cross over his chest.

Look at the photos that Philtech have on their website - there's no diver to be seen with harness straps crossing their chest - that would be totally grotesk.

I strongly recommend that you get proper guidance on how to thread and use that harness (the manufacturer would not be a bad address for that, I guess, or some buddy diving the same rig) or you may seriously hurt yourself.

Dive safely

cebudiver,

I think you've got that wrong - there's no way that the straps are supposed to cross over your chest.
Instead, they cross behind your neck. Some harness systems I've seen do that, because it supposedly provides a snugger fit, compared to the standard way of rigging a harness (I can hardly imagine that that is true, but have not tried it, so it just may be).
Just imagine what contortions a diver would have to perform to get into a harness whose straps cross over his chest.

Look at the photos that Philtech have on their website - there's no diver to be seen with harness straps crossing their chest - that would be totally grotesque.

I strongly recommend that you get proper guidance on how to thread and use that harness (the manufacturer would not be a bad address for that, I guess, or some buddy diving the same rig) or you may seriously hurt yourself.

Dive safely

Cebu,
Blox is right. The strap crossover goes behind the diver's neck. The shoulder straps DO NOT cross over the chest area.

the K

Cebu, post us a pic or a link to this setup?

I can't imagine getting into my bpw with it rigged like I think you are describing.

You are absalutely rite. Thank you. The cross does go through the back and comes ove quite snug in the front. It was not explained properly by the seller. Thank You. I knew there had to be something wrong with that set up.

Again Thanks.

You are absalutely rite. Thank you. The cross does go through the back and comes ove quite snug in the front. It was not explained properly by the seller. Thank You. I knew there had to be something wrong with that set up.

Again Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom