Zeagle Vs. Halcyon Evolve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAVMED82

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a new diver contemplating all the money I'm getting ready to spend. I'm first thinking about what BC I want. Right now I'm torn between two. One is either a Zeagle Ranger or Brigade. The other one is the Halcyon Evolve BP/W. Any recomendations? As far as the type of diving, rec right now , but I'm probably going to move on to tech diving sometime.

Thanks,

The Evolve wing is for doubles. If you are just getting into diving, This would not be what I'd recommend. The Ranger is a fine BC. It's a bit bulky for my tates, but a LOT of people like them a lot. Depending on how far you go into technical diving, the BP/W might serve you better over the long run.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions about this one! :)

The Zeagle BC's are very nice. If that's the route you want to go, Zeagle is definitely a good choice. If you are going to get into tech diving in the future (or not), you might be better off just getting a bp/w now. With a bp/w, you can change it over time to suit you diving style/preferences (d-ring location, number of d-rings, on and on and on). With a standard BC, you are pretty much stuck with what you bought.

I started with a vest BC, then went to a bp/w and will never go back. Many others have done the same thing. Luckily, I sold my vest bc for the same price as I paid for it, so I didn't really lose anything. A lot of people dive Zeagle bc's and love them, but I love how simple the bp/w system is, and how versatile and adjustable they are.

NAVMED82:
What about a Pioneer wing?

I certified in a jacket, then owned a Zeagle (not a Ranger) and now have a Pioneer 27 with a SS backplate. I like the system very much and would recommend it for people doing general openwater dives. If you have need for a more durable or "technical" openwater rig, I'd recommend the Eclipse instead. Both are excellent, but the eclipse with it's double bladder and STA is a better setup I think. Fortunately, my Pioneer will see mostly freshwater springs, and very shallow salt-water dives. Other than that, I'll be in doubles, and I don't know what wing I will get yet. The Evolve is nice, but that new Oxycheq Razor is very nice as well.

I'd go for the MARES vector-1000 With the Air-Flow (Morpehos i belive is it's name)

NAVMED82:
What about a Pioneer wing?

A good choice. Let's you work on your trim and balance in an excellent manner. Later, with more experience, swap it with an Evolve for a double rig. You use the same harness and BP without any further adjustments. You will certainly want to keep your Pioneer and single tank for those lazy shallow dives, even if you buy up to a set of doubles :D

I use the Eclipse myself, for singles or small doubles. Lovely!!! (I will never ever use a regular BCD again!)

I echo Perrone's comments 100%.

I went from a plain ol jacket to a nice back-inflate BC, but now dive BP/wings exclusively. Can't be beat.

The Ranger harness assembly is a very versatile system:

Case in point, the Brigade is a model with a recreational single tank bladder. The 44# Ranger bladder is enough for many doubles divers, or the 65# Tech wing, 55# or 85# Bertha redundant bladders are optional too.

Tech diving has many styles; some tech divers rarely use doubles. I often use a Stiletto, and that bladder would be great on the Ranger harness.

Of course all these bladders, work on Zeagle back plates too. Now available with the conventional mounting system.

Choices, choices!

Chad

Just so you know:

In discussions with the owner of my LDS about BP/W, he mentioned that if it weren't for cost issues (initial purchase costs of BP/Ws tend to be more expensive than for low end jacket-style BCs), he would have all his instructors teach all classes with this setup...

YMMV...

Alex

EDIT: OK, so "tend" may be an understatement.

Back
Top Bottom