Thanks everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wanted to extend my thanks to all the SB members I met at the October party at Ginnie Springs. It was my first SB event, and everyone was GREAT! I won't mention names because I know I'll forget people, but you guys were a BLAST, and helped a long lost sheep back into the herd. Hopefully, I'll be better prepared at the next event and won't be overwhelmed by meeting everyone for the first time, getting in water for the first time (in 11 years), and will buy camping gear appropriate to the climate!

Thanks again,

-Perrone

Great diving with ya. Don't be a stranger! I WILL come find you if you try :D

How'd Morrison go? :D Glad you had fun, keep getting back in the water!

SuPrBuGmAn:
How'd Morrison go? :D Glad you had fun, keep getting back in the water!

Time for another mini-novel!

Well, it started off badly. Forgot my mask in my haste to clean everything and pack for this morning. Anyway, I borrowed the backup of another Tallahassee diver. Only problem was it didn't fit my face well, and leaked a LOT! More on that later.

So I was paired up with two quite experienced divers but they had never been to Morrison. They wanted to see the cavern, so we headed across the platform and over. I was trying to get used to a mask that flooded very time I looked left, right, or up! I managed ok, but it was still a challenge with the task loading. I got my trim and buoyancy decent on the swim out, so I was pleased. I went down near the entrance but didn't really go it. I was on a short tank (1800psi from the last Ginnie Dive) and knowing how I suck air right now, wasn't going to press my luck. I thumbed the dive for myself at 1000psi, my buddies followed me to the shallows, and I excited alone. They played around for another 15 minutes or so then came out. Overall fun and a good learning experience.

The second dive, we decided to head to the cavern, exit on thirds, and explore the far side. This time, I hovered over the hole, and managed a near perfect 30ft drop to the entrance, deployed the light, and just swam in. It took me a while to get down because I was trying to not touch the wing again, but it was all worth it. I pegged the ceiling again, but figured out why tonight. Shouldn't be an issue again. From there, we swam the far side, and I again thumbed when I hit 1000. We had a nice slow shallow swim back, then a nice quiet deco at the entrance. I had several opportunites to work my fine buoyancy control, and did pretty well. My buddy had a OPV problem and I had to hover to help him. For reference, 3 weeks ago, I was having trouble staying in 5 feet of water. Today I was holding 6".

Overall, it was a great day of diving. Morrison was nearly deserted by the time we did our second dive. The sun was low in the sky, the temps were nice, and it was just quiet and peaceful.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help at Ginnie. Years later I'll look back on that day and remember it fondly.

-P

Great meeting you and Crawdad...

Now that you guys seem to have gotten the bug...DIVE MORE OFTEN...It really is fun and we scubaboarders have a good time...

Gear up, get wet, repeat...

Hoss..

PS, I will try to get some photos on the Conchers forum soon...Got a few of you Perone and a few of Crawdad...turned out pretty good too...

Thanks Hoss! It'll be fun to have some pics of me finally! Great meeting you too...

Sounds like you had a great time at Morrison too. Excellent job on not pushing your limits and not pushing a half-eaten tank :D There's always that second dive as you've found out. Keep in the water and you'll be suprised how refined your skills will get. Its nice to look back after every 50 dives or so and evaluate how much you've improved.

I almost drove to Morrison on the way home to check and see if anyone was still there and up for a dive(I had filled two tanks at Cave Excursions that morning and only used one between Troy and Royal). It was already pretty dark by the time I got to the exit due to the time change so I just filled up with gas and RedBull and jumped back on the interstate.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom