Key West Diving Post Wilma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HilaryF

Reaction score
My apologies if somebody's already posted a status, but haven't been able to find any news on the diving and shops in Key West. A friend who lives there says a lot of docks were lost..... Does anybody know what the status is - who's up and running, viz, etc? I'm going down in a week and a half. Thanks!

I posted this same question last week, and haven't gotten a responce.

I am leaving tomorrow (11/01) and will be down there until Sunday (11/06). I am going to try and get a day or two of diving in while I am there, so I will reply with the conditions when I return.

looks good , I called a few dive shops ,specially my favorite Capt. Slates and theyre all right . seas look good for this weekend , so Im driving down sunday.

is located in Key Largo, over 100 miles up the road from Key West. I haven't heard from any operators in Key West as to dive conditions, post-Wilma. I do know that the Middle and Lower Keys got quite a spanking, compared to the Upper Keys. Key Largo dive ops have been up and running for the past several days, mostly in rough seas and limited visibility (10-30'). If in doubt, contact your dive op in Key West and ask.

Talked with two shops in Key West and both suffered damage. I spoke to Bob at Dive Key West dive shop who had over 3 feet of water in his shop. He didn't know when he'd be open for business. Also spoke with Subtropic Dive Shop. They suffered some dock damage, but were open.

Captain Morgan's Dive Tours at Banana Bay in Marathon is not operational at this time; the marina at Banana Bay has been completely destroyed. They managed to save the dive boat and have recovered most of their equipment from the grounds around the resort, but the dive shop was destroyed and the marina has been condemned.

We have a KADO meeting this Thursday. KADO stands for Keys Association of Dive Operators. Should get more info on the state of dive shops in the entire Florida keys.
I'll post some information after that meeting.

I have not heard of any dive operators who suffered damage in the Upper Keys....Key Largo to Islamorada.

Youch! That's what I expected. I spoke with Lost Reef and was told that they're open, but hadn't been out yet. He said the fishermen said the viz was "mud", but hoped it would start clearing up soon. Hope everybody can get up and running again quickly! Thanks for the update.

I was in Key West from 11-2 until 11-6, and went diving on Saturday 11-5 with South Point Divers. This was their first trip out after Wilma, so we did not know what to expect, but we were rather pleasantly surprised. We ended up diving two locations.

At The first location, the Wreck of the Cayman Salvage Master, the conditions were about 25'-30' vis with a moderate current at the surface. The wreck was in pretty good shape without any visible hurricane damage other than a lot of the resident Sea Fans having been broken away, but there was plenty of Fish life. Depth was 75' at the deck and 90' at the sand.

At the second location, a reef called Marker 32, the conditions were about 20' vis with a strong current at the surface, and a light current and surge at depth. Fish life was abundant, but the Corals and Sea Fans were pretty beat up with Micro life almost non-existent. Average depth was 25’.

Parrothead_Diver:
I was in Key West from 11-2 until 11-6, and went diving on Saturday 11-5 with South Point Divers. This was their first trip out after Wilma, so we did not know what to expect, but we were rather pleasantly surprised. We ended up diving two locations.

At The first location, the Wreck of the Cayman Salvage Master, the conditions were about 25'-30' vis with a moderate current at the surface. The wreck was in pretty good shape without any visible hurricane damage other than a lot of the resident Sea Fans having been broken away, but there was plenty of Fish life. Depth was 75' at the deck and 90' at the sand.

At the second location, a reef called Marker 32, the conditions were about 20' vis with a strong current at the surface, and a light current and surge at depth. Fish life was abundant, but the Corals and Sea Fans were pretty beat up with Micro life almost non-existent. Average depth was 25’.
Glad you were able to dive down there, and that the water has begun to clear up.

Thanks all! I ended up getting two trips out and saw the same conditions. Yesterday the wind was up and the current at depth was pretty stiff, but overall conditions were what I've experienced on previous trips so I wasn't at all disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom