Back Plate/ Weight Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go under in freshwater even when diving wet since I only wear 4# on my belt and I can swim that up easily.

I have not had my BP in the ocean yet (I will in 2 weeks), but If I put about 10# in my belt I may wear it over my harness...haven't decided on this one yet.

Diving dry, I would wear it under the harness since the loss of weights could cause an uncontrolled ascent.

In an emergency it doesn't seem too hard to pull my weightbelt off from under my harness either...dunno...I like it under better...

I wear my under the crotch strap. I've had no problems with removing it or others when doing rescue skills, etc.

I did ask GI3 about it and basically the answer I got was that either way is ok.

thats excactly the sensation i got when i put it on above the webbing the first time. didnt like it at all.

Whats the concensus on not being able to ditch the weights though? My feeling was that if its over and you manage to tuck it between the plate and wing/tank then its likely to get stuck there anyways. My weighting seems to be so low now that ditching such little weight doesnt seem like it would make much difference anyway.

...is over rated...

Think about the various scenarios that would require the ditching of the weight belt and see if another solution presents itself.

That aside... yes it is easy to dump a weight belt from under the crotch strap... but not so easy that it can happen accidently.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
...is over rated...

That aside... yes it is easy to dump a weight belt from under the crotch strap... but not so easy that it can happen accidently.
That makes sense to me. I'd rather it be a little more difficult to ditch than too easy to ditch. The nice thing is if for some reason your buckle snagged something or even broke you have that extra security of the crotch strap still holding your belt saving you from losing your weights.

Have you seen the DUI weight harness rig?

What are your thoughts? It only looks like it would be good when you are going to need a lot of weight though.

Back
Top Bottom