DIR Updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlocked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just curious. Seriously. Has there been any changes in DIR configurations or are any anticipated in the future, or... has the DIRight become so entrenched that change has become dificult, or... will change never happen because it will never be needed? Anyway, I think you get the idea of the question even if it is not well asked. What I think I know is... DIR incorporates a philosophy for using best and safest way to dive. Assuming that DIR has found it. (Sorry, no great debates on that wanted!) What happens when a better confuguration/way becomes available and what are some areas where that is likely to occur?

Serious replies only. Thanks. :confused:

I think you will see DIR adopt things VERY slowly. It has to be a proven piece of equipment or technique for it to be accepted. Unfortunately, there really hasn't been anything earth-shattering for us(them) to adopt in recent years. Most of the hardware that has come out is a joke.

I think the most fascinating work is being done with deco. George and JJ, along with Bruce Weinke are blowing away accepted deco theories with they're proven real-dive deco's. They're getting out of the water many hours before commonly accepted deco schedules.

Originally posted by detroit diver
I think you will see DIR adopt things VERY slowly. It has to be a proven piece of equipment or technique for it to be accepted. Unfortunately, there really hasn't been anything earth-shattering for us(them) to adopt in recent years. Most of the hardware that has come out is a joke.

I think the most fascinating work is being done with deco. George and JJ, along with Bruce Weinke are blowing away accepted deco theories with they're proven real-dive deco's. They're getting out of the water many hours before commonly accepted deco schedules.

Agree DD, Your signature is hilarious by the way!

Most of the gear that "DIR" uses has been around a very, very long time (it wasn't invented by the wkpp) and it's brilliance lies in it's simplicity! Most of the "new stuff" that's out is largely a product of marketing not need.

DIR ignores marketing and focuses on what works. So what needs to be changed will be when something that works better is found. An example are the lights --> Halogen --> HID and SLA batteries to NiMh (though I don't think this one has been totally adopted yet but not sure)

DSAO!!

Originally posted by WYDT

Agree DD, Your signature is hilarious by the way!
An example are the lights --> Halogen --> HID and SLA batteries to NiMh (though I don't think this one has been totally adopted yet but not sure)

DSAO!!

Re: the sig line- Thanks! I wish that I was the one who thought of it, but I liked it!

re: NIMH

I'm going to ask George about this on the quest list and see what he has to say/scream about.

Mostly what's happening at this point in times is tweaks, like SS for brass bolt snaps, HID lights for Halogen and some specific stuff like carrying video light batteries like stage bottles.

The DIR foundation has been laid for quite some time and appears to be quite sound.

Where DIR is still being "developed" is arround the Halcyon rebreather.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom