need camera advise for upcoming trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
...After diving Cozumel this past June with no camera, I know this is something I want to pursue for a Januray Curacao trip. I've spent hours browsing the forums and the Cannon A620 seems to get positive reviews. Any thoughts? The salesman, however, at the nearyby photo shop was really pushing the Nikon CoolPix S3. All this is SO confuzing to someone who has limited experience with cameras on-land, let alone applying this to the underwater world. Budget-wise, I prefer to keep it under $1,000...not sure if that's realistic when adding all the bells and whistles. Any comments on either of these 2 cameras or suggestions on camera set-ups other than what I have mentioned would be greatly appreciated...thanks

The salesman may or may not be an underwater photographer, so I'd look at that first. Second, he may or may not have your best interests at heart - he may make more by selling one or the other etc.

I'd ask questions here and check out dpreview.com and digideep.com to get started.

I don't think you can go too wrong with almost any of the choices out there at the moment. In order to narrow it down I would decide which features, size and budget suit you and then short list. I think the A620 looks like a great little camera - I haven't had a chance to see one in action yet, but the A series before it produce some nice results. Remember, ultimately it's the artist not the tool - though the right tool for the artist can make life easier!!

For your bells and whistles...I would start with your camera and housing, a big card and an extra set of batteries. The second thing I would add would be a strobe, tray and arm. But I would get to know my camera first. Adding a strobe doesn't just instantly mean better photos - there's a pretty steep learning curve in using a strobe. If you have the cash and are happy to take a tougher road (you have to think about the camera and the strobe instead of just the camera) then go for it, I say. Sometimes I find learning everything at once is actually faster in the long run YMMV.

I'd add more lenses later - once I was comfortable with shooting underwater and once I had a better idea of what type of photography appealed to me the most.

HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom