Key Largo in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mom2twinz99

Registered
Reaction score
We are considering Key Largo for our February vacation. Is there year round diving here, and what is it like? I'm curious about water temp, viz and general conditions.

Thanks,
Amber

We dive year round here, but I'd come prepared with a back up plan of topside (or backcountry) activities just in case your dive trip(s) get blown out. Key West and Everglades National Park are both good diversions. Plan on water temps in the low seventies (I've even seen it in the high sixties in February). Visibility in the Upper Keys is usually great in the winter (40-60'), except in the shallows when the waves are big (over 3-4'). Enjoy!

I got certified there this past March and the temps were 72/73 all week. I was a bit on the cool side with my 3mil full suit and 3mil vest.

I wear a 7mm suit when the water dips into the 70's.

The reef dives in and around key largo are not that deep, so it's common to stay down there for an hour or so, depending on the dive op. If you're overdressed, you can always let some water into your suit. But you can't get warmer if you're underdressed.

howarde:
I wear a 7mm suit when the water dips into the 70's.

The reef dives in and around key largo are not that deep, so it's common to stay down there for an hour or so, depending on the dive op. If you're overdressed, you can always let some water into your suit. But you can't get warmer if you're underdressed.
I'll agree here. I just did a couple of dives in Jocassee where the water was 70. I felt very comfortable in my 7mm with hood.

My wife and I are also headed down to key Largo in the begining of February, to complete our AOW and mabye get a peak at the Speigel grove...

So what I am getting from this thread is we should be fine in our 7mills... Also sounds like something warm for the boat rides...

How is the overall diving in Feb in key Largo?? First trip to the keys for both of us....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom