Sensor Swabs RULE for DSLR CCD Cleaning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Had my D70 for awhile now.

After my trip to Belize, I had some dustage on the CCD that I just couldn't shake. Air Conditioned cabana to the beach and back every day... huge fogging, mad dust = stuff paper mache'-ed to the sensor.

So I did all the research, talked to all the pros, etc.

Months later, I break down and got the Sensor Brush and the Sensor Swabs. They showed up FAST. And they sit in the cabinet. :11:

Weeks later, I finally bust them out. :yourkiddi

And look at them. I just can't muster the courage to do this. :sorry19z:

This is a sphincter clenching operation, and I wasn't sure if I was up to the task. I had some seriously welded dust on this thing - at least 4 major spots that were essentially taking the love of shooting away from me since July.

So today I finally decide to man up and get to it. I prepare the work area, and charge the Sensor Brush. swipe swipe, test shot - DAMMIT. As suspected, it did nothing to the major blobs.

So its time to bust out the heavy artillary. I break open the Sensor Swab, wet it with the Eclipse juice of life (EJOL). Re-assemble, test shot.... NO WAY. One of the 4 dust spots MOVED! :D

WOO HOO

Repeat. Three of the 4 are completely gone

After a few more times, and a few more swabs, I can honestly say I can't find a single blob, gray spot, lingering dot or blemish. I did test shots of the bright sky, a white wall in full sun, a test paper indoors, etc. Examined at 100% corner to corner. Nada.

MAN.

Tense moments, but its all good. These things rule. They're an arm and a leg, but totally worth it. I'm going to Kona over Christmas / New Years, and there is simply no way I would house this thing up for that trip with that butt-ugly CCD.

I no longer have to compose around the dots... I'm so happy. Tomorrow I'm going out shooting just because I can.

If you're CCD is ugly, you don't need to fret (much.) I've been FREAKING about this for months (carried my cam to PNW in September for a long weekend and didn't take a single shot) - and I finally did clean the thing and everything came out perfect.

Sensor products just rule. I'm very relieved.

Here's their site.

And the artical by Thom also ruled.

Whew... what a relief.

---
Ken

The D70 has a feature called image dust off that works in RAW format only. You take a reference photo of a plain white surface and the camera will compare subsequent photos and delete the dust. I haven't tried it yet, but the swabbing process scares me, so when the time comes I'll try dust off first.

vladimir:
The D70 has a feature called image dust off that works in RAW format only. You take a reference photo of a plain white surface and the camera will compare subsequent photos and delete the dust. I haven't tried it yet, but the swabbing process scares me, so when the time comes I'll try dust off first.

I don't even own photoshop. So my option was to continue to compose busy shots or sack up and handle it.

I'm so happy now...

---
Ken

Ahhhh......the benefits of a NikV.

Sorry...Ken just had to jab. I didn't have any trouble in "our" cabana. :D

Lori

Diver Lori:

Lori

that's right... well, what can I say. I'm sure the dust was on there before I got to Belize (I did a shoot in Joshua Tree a week before the trip) but I am confident whatever dust was there was just arc welded to the CCD by the 30 - 45 minute fog fest each morning.

Of course, by day three I got a clue and stored the cam outside on the porch overnight... no more de-fogging each morning.

You're funny.

---
Ken

I've never had a problem in 2 years getting dust of a CCD with just a simple airbulb. I do it once a month, and and never have to clean a dust spot off w/ a swab. Actually the sensor on my brand new Fuji S2 (2 years old now) was FILTHY !!! So much for factory cleaning! I took my airbulb to it and it was perfect in a couple of puffs. My Nik D2x seems better sealed. I've only had to clean it once in 6 months. As this works w/o a problem, I'm holding off the Sensorswabs.

onbelaydave:
I'm holding off the Sensorswabs.

I seriously don't know what the heck happened. But I'm bulbin' it from now on. I think I lopped about 2 years off my life stressing out over the cleaning...

OY!

---
Ken

Diver Lori:

Lori

No offence Lori but i got so sick of cleaning the dust and spots off of my slides post scanning (even with a Coolscan 4000 which has a setting that gets rid of that stuff) that i went digital. And yes i was/am extremely anal about keeping my slides clean. Only have about 3000 or so dives with the Nik V so yes thats a lot of scanning time...

So much easier with digital....

Mike Veitch:
No offence Lori but i got so sick of cleaning the dust and spots off of my slides post scanning (even with a Coolscan 4000 which has a setting that gets rid of that stuff) that i went digital. And yes i was/am extremely anal about keeping my slides clean. Only have about 3000 or so dives with the Nik V so yes thats a lot of scanning time...

So much easier with digital....

No offense taken. I just am not convinced on digital yet, and it's evolving way too fast for me to make an investment in it at it's current level. I like the contrast and saturation from pro slide film and feel it can't be beat at this time. I'm very selective in the slides I do scan and it works for me since it's my buddy with the scanner, not me! :05:

Mo2vation:
that's right... well, what can I say. I'm sure the dust was on there before I got to Belize (I did a shoot in Joshua Tree a week before the trip) but I am confident whatever dust was there was just arc welded to the CCD by the 30 - 45 minute fog fest each morning.

Of course, by day three I got a clue and stored the cam outside on the porch overnight... no more de-fogging each morning.

You're funny.

---
Ken

Just joking with you, Ken. I couldn't resist since my buddy and I were in the same cabana as you and your wife, a few weeks later. Still can't top that trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom