Lost photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After I returned home from a trip to Papua New Guinea in July, I brought my film (slides) in to the local Photo store to be developed. When I got the pics back, they said that I had all the photos. Now it's November the 2nd and I just had a phone call from them telling me I have two packs of pictures that they have developed.......hmmm.

1. I'm mad - because it took over 3 months.
2. I'm mad - because in reallity they lost those pictures.
3. I'm happy - because now I have more underwater photos that could never be replaced.

How many of you have had an experience of going away on a special trip and have the photos lost , no fault of your own? And, you were upset, your photos were irreplaceable. This situation lends itself to a good reason for digital photography.

Welll...it doens't happen anymore with digital. :wink:

Did you notice that you weren't getting back all your film/pictures when you originally pick up the pictures?

Not to open up the film vs digital debate, but it will happen to you eventually with digital as well -the memory cards can get corrupted. It happened to the photographer who was shooting a friend of mine's wedding. He lost all the pics from the church! -They had to go back and try their best to "re-do them". :11:

Crashed hard drives will cause loss of pics too, but you'd back them up, right? :05:

Oh i've done worse than that. i used to do my own E6, nothing worse than finding out one of your chemicals has gone bad when you are developing that roll of 100 schooling eagle rays.... ;(

But yes, i would be mad in your situation too, and also happy. You should have kept track of how many rolls you gave them though...

Mike Veitch:
Oh i've done worse than that. i used to do my own E6, nothing worse than finding out one of your chemicals has gone bad when you are developing that roll of 100 schooling eagle rays.... ;(

But yes, i would be mad in your situation too, and also happy. You should have kept track of how many rolls you gave them though...

I did, I said "I brought in 20 rolls", they told me they developed them all, I thought maybe there were rolls that were no good. My problem was I believed them:11:

Yikes, I hope you didn't see a hugh school of rays and then you trashed your own film!

devolution365:
Not to open up the film vs digital debate, but it will happen to you eventually with digital as well -the memory cards can get corrupted. It happened to the photographer who was shooting a friend of mine's wedding. He lost all the pics from the church! -They had to go back and try their best to "re-do them". :11 :
No that is just plain bad...sorry that it happend to your friend.

caymaniac:
I did, I said "I brought in 20 rolls", they told me they developed them all, I thought maybe there were rolls that were no good. My problem was I believed them:11:

Yikes, I hope you didn't see a hugh school of rays and then you trashed your own film!

You betcha, and a close up of a 16 foot Great Hammerhead too. Nothing worse then going down to 180 feet to shoot that and developing red photos no matter how many times i tried to rebleach it.......:11:

Mike Veitch:
You betcha, and a close up of a 16 foot Great Hammerhead too. Nothing worse then going down to 180 feet to shoot that and developing red photos no matter how many times i tried to rebleach it.......:11:

That's enough to make a grown man cry :06: I think I would have quit developing for awhile after an experience like that.

It's true that with digital a card can go bad. Of course, that's why on important photo shoots we use at least two cameras with two cards.

But the fact is, lost photos happened a lot more with film than with digital. Speaking as a professional photographer with decades of experience, lost or damaged film was a lot more common than cards going bad in digital cameras are today.

And, with digital, there is at least a chance of recovering some or all of the photos. But with film, if the chemicals are bad or some idiot in the lab exposes the film to light, that's it...and that happens a lot more often than you would think.

Still, that lab clearly has problems and I would stop using them.

Jeff

Jeff, back when TechTV was still around they did a story about some staffers sister who went to Asia with a digital camera and a limited supply of memory cards. They went to a Kinkos type place and had a CD burned. Silly girls, they didn't verify the contents of the CD before they erased the memory cards. The CD was not properly done and only a small percentage of the disk was readable.

POOF, gone were the images.

Yes, pro photographers usually think redundant systems but when I was on my last vacation the thought of carrying a spare camera was the farthest from my mind.

Back
Top Bottom