BC Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knyc2000

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a BC question and I hope I can get some comments here.

I 'fully' (about 90%) inflated my BC before storing it, after a few days, I found that some air had escaped from the BC (now about 80% inflated).

My question is does that mean my BC is leaking? Is it safe to dive with the BC again?
Just want to get some idea whether I should bring it back to my LDS for checking.

Thanks in advance.

Kenny

It should not be leaking.
Before you dismantle anything put it in a bath full of water and see where it is bubbling.
It could be something quite trivial like a grain of sand in one of the dump valves.
If it is the power inflator/deflator fill the BC with water and give it a good rinse operating both controls while squeezing the BC to force water out.

Just for the record, it is not recommended to store BCs pressurised. You should put just enough air in to keep the internal surfaces separated and the the curves smooth.

knyc2000:
Hi all,

I have a BC question and I hope I can get some comments here.

I 'fully' (about 90%) inflated my BC before storing it, after a few days, I found that some air had escaped from the BC (now about 80% inflated).

My question is does that mean my BC is leaking? Is it safe to dive with the BC again?
Just want to get some idea whether I should bring it back to my LDS for checking.

Thanks in advance.

Kenny

I don't think there is a leak in your bc since you still have as much as 80% of the inflation after a few days.

Also check and make sure that the dump valves are well-screwed into its place. I have experience with that and actually thought that my system was leaking. Test your bc with miketsp's method and you would know what's wrong.

Could be something as simple as a change in temperature too.
I got a small pebble in my dump valve one time. Pretty simple fix.

I don't think this sounds like a leak either - under that much pressure I'm not surprised it lost some air after a few days. Take a balloon it will lose air over the course of a week or so but if you stick it underwater you probably won't see many bubbles. Check it out by at that rate I'll be surprised if you see much. But I'm no BC expert.

I agree with the statement that is too much air to store a BC. You should have enough air to keep the internal bladder from sticking to itself.

I agree with others and think you're storing it with too much air, but I also think you are losing a little air somewhere. Check all connections (dump valves, inflator hose, inflator controls, etc.). Pay special attention to where your inflator hose attaches to your air bladder. Test it out in water to see exactly where any small bubbles are coming from continuously. It's probably something simple.

If you don't find the problem, I would play it safe and have it checked at a dive shop by a trained technician.

Thanks for all the comments, this community has been really helpful.

I'll check the BC with all the advises given and with store the BC with less air in it in the future.

Kenny

Back
Top Bottom