wilma in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Cancun was hit hard buy the storm, it came ashore as a cat 5, we had the eye for over 16 hours and hurricane for over 40 hours, anyone who has ever told you that it is calm in the eye of a hurricane has never been in one like this, it is still a freaking hurricane, the whole experience was rather surreal, I have certainly never seen a storm of the likes of Wilma before.

Cancun hotel Zone sustained major damage and the city suffered infrastructural damage to major power lines. The good news is that there was very minor loss of life and little structural damage to the residential part of the city as the majority of houses are brick and concrete. If they had been wood, then we would have seen damage like we saw after Rita and Katherina in the gulf.

Over a third of the major hotels suffered severe damage and virtually none (except for the royal sands) escaped damage of some sort or another. I suspect that it will be some weeks before any are open and upto a couple of years before Cancun has the hotel capacity it had before.

As far as hurricane horror stories, I am not here to write those as everyone has their own and really writing about the experience doesnt give it credit.

However what I still havent heard of is what happened underwater. I sadly predict that the divig in Cancun has taken a virtual death blow and will take decades to recover. As far as the riviera Maya, PDC and Coz, I suspect that they will have gotten of a little lighter due to the deeper water, but I will let Matt and the other southerners report on that when the time comes.

As for me, I am out of here, my work is done, Aquaworld and Cancuns diving industry is in ruins and I feel a considereable closure about that. I am heading back home to New Zealand (for the first time in nearly 14 years) to be with my daughter for her fourth birthday and to look for something new and exciting to do.

Mark,
I am so sorry to hear of this - I sincerely wish you well in future endeavours and while I am sure that you are pretty down right down you will have your daughter's smile to look forward to.

All the best.

Very sorry to hear! I wish you the best of luck Mark! Take care!

Mark,
Had to go check out your web page...great stuff. Sounds like you have (had?) a great operation. Sorry...but things happen for a reason. Maybe now is the time to go do some great work in another part of the world?
Take care.
Kirsten

Mark,

I wish you the best of luck in the future! Keep your head up and your memories treasured. Sincerely, Paul

There was a report on TV tonight that said it could take upwards of 100 years before the reefs rebuild to what they were.

my brother in law got back from a days diving with the parks authority working on reef restoration today, he said the deeper reefs are not too bad but hasnt seen the shallow ones yet. They spent the day tying down broken corals with cable ties???!!??
I am not sure how effective that will be but at least they are trying.

I will post when I have a report.

cancun mark:
They spent the day tying down broken corals with cable ties. I am not sure how effective that will be but at least they are trying..

It is indeed quite effective- and you don't need a hurricane to do this!

If you see a dislodged coral, flopped over and getting siltated, reach down, grab a "dead part" and "reset" it so that there is exposure to light and circulating water. You can do the same thing with a sponge that has been knocked loose.

If you are in a siltated area, follow the practice of "dusting". As you float by a sponge or coral that has piled-up run-off siltation scooge resting upon it- swish your hand and "dust" the poor critter. (Notice what happens to the interior of those dark red barrel sponges... it's like "smoke")

Hurricanes are a natural force and for the most part, they seem to cleanse a reef, much as periodic fires burn out the undergrowth in a forrest. Immediately after Mitch in Honduras we were all agape at the apparent devistation, but the regrowth was immediate and unexpectedly quick.

It's a natural progression.

Hi eveyone...Im new to this site, and had reserved a trip to Cozumel in Jan. 06.
I wanted to become certified while on vacation, but now Im not sure if we are going at all. Were supposed to stay at the Reef Club...any info would be appreciated. Its been all but impossible to find out anything as of yet.....Thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom