Southwest FL shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sidwise

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The last week of December, I'll be bopping around southern FL, want to do some off-the-beaten-path diving. The farthest south I've been below Tampa so far is the Venice area, and I want to check out the southwest.

Any good sites -- salt or fresh water -- that you can dive without a boat below that? Can be shallow or deep, as long as there's interesting stuff to see. Don't plan to take my tech and cave gear with me, so sites within recreational limits is preferred.

(And, hey, if I can't find a week of shore dive sites on the southwest coast, I'll hit the sites between WPB and Key Largo)

Thanks in advance for the info, gang!

Where is Vanderbilt Beach Walter?

Hmmmm........... Sounds like I'll have to check that out. How's the parking there?

Walter-

Do you know of a rock "reef" that is about 50-100 yards off Bowditch Point on the north end of Fort Myers Beach? I have heard it is in about fifteen of water and has some pretty cool life on it.

Matt, that would actually be out near Marker 7 and I used to fish it all the time (several times a week for about 6 years). I would NOT recommend a dive on it as there is absolutely so much boat traffic you'd be literally putting yourself in peril, it was hazardous enough in a boat, I couldn't imagine the underwater experience!!

Vanderbelts is interesting if you know where to find it.

Gasparella Island also has a great one called Red Rocks that is between the sandbars about 300' off the beach. Rule of thumb is if you can't see it from the beach, your not going to see it when your out on it either. Of course, you don't know it until you've made the LONG drive out and paid the $4 toll to cross the bridge either.

CBulla:
Matt, that would actually be out near Marker 7 and I used to fish it all the time (several times a week for about 6 years). I would NOT recommend a dive on it as there is absolutely so much boat traffic you'd be literally putting yourself in peril, it was hazardous enough in a boat, I couldn't imagine the underwater experience!!

Vanderbelts is interesting if you know where to find it.

Gasparella Island also has a great one called Red Rocks that is between the sandbars about 300' off the beach. Rule of thumb is if you can't see it from the beach, your not going to see it when your out on it either. Of course, you don't know it until you've made the LONG drive out and paid the $4 toll to cross the bridge either.

Thanks, Colin. Someone was telling me about a stone crab limestone reef off Bowdwith Point. Must be the same place.

Yup... gots to be.. I used to run 72 traps between Sanibel and Bodwich.. always had 4-5 stonies a trap. Great grass flats fishing a lil closer to Bunche Beach as well :)

CBulla:
Yup... gots to be.. I used to run 72 traps between Sanibel and Bodwich.. always had 4-5 stonies a trap. Great grass flats fishing a lil closer to Bunche Beach as well :)

there is a nice shallow reef off of boca grande. It is straight out from the light house. There is a dive shop in port charlotte that has tide charts and directions to the reef.

http://www.fantaseascuba.com/

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom