Winter diving in FL-recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capybara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, we're thinking of diving in Florida for a week in January and wanted to get some advice/help planning our itinerary. We'd like to snorkel with the manatees, try some spring diving, and spend some time on the coast. We like wrecks, turtles and sharks too. Where are the best places to dive in the winter? Any boat op recommendations? Places to stay? What are the vis and temps like, and should I wear my tropical 3mm fullsuit+3mm corewarmer+beanie, or my 7 mm fullsuit +/- hooded vest (my California getup)? I was thinking something like fly into Miami, drive to Key Largo or West Palm Beach, then end up in Crystal River area and fly out of Orlando. But I'm not familiar with FL and don't know if that's too much driving. Thanks for your help!

MIA airport to key largo area is about an hour and a half. Take the turnpike south. When you get past florida city (just when it becomd a 2 lane narrow road with no building on both sides) on US-1, watch your speed. The highway patrol is pretty strict down there. I got pulled over doing a 60, about 5 feet before a 55 sign, and I got pulled over because I was still in a 45 zone. Maybe it was a tight arsed cop, I just got a warning, but that was pretty tight.

driving up to orlando from key largo is going to be a lot of driving. I'm in miami, and I've never tried it. I'd say 2 full days without going insanely fast. Wait for opinions from someone who's actually done it tho. I'm just guessing.

If you're going to key largo, you definitely want to try eather the Spiegel Grove. Captain Slate's Atlantis does the Spiegel every day, with a big boat. If you go further down south, to the next island called Tavernier (about 20 min from keylargo), you might be able to do the the Eagle. Florida Keys Diver is a strong operator there that will make sure you get what you ask for. Call ahead of time to make a request. Both Spiegel and Eagle are deep dives.
A picture from the Spiegel grove:
05-08-29-spiegel.jpg

A good combination in my opinion of a place to stay and dive op is Holiday inn and Ocean Divers. Ocean Divers isn't the cheapest in town, but you can walk from Holiday Inn to Ocean Diver's dock. So, that may be of interest. Ocean Diver's is a very solid operation. In terms of price, I've seen a very cheap motel a little into key largo (or maybe before) at a place called Jewfish Creek on the right hand side, before Lake Surprise, that had rooms for 30 something.. (on the mainland side of the bridge, not over the bridge) crazy, but that's what their sign said. I don't even know what the motel is called, but I drive by it all the time and wonder if it's an okay place to stay or not. Price is definitely appealing.

When you drive past florida city, going in or out of key largo, there's a place called Everglades Outpost that I recommend highly. (about 5 min drive from florida city) It's no diving place, it's a place they hold confiscated animals that were illegally owned. So you get siberian tigers and white tigers, a white wolf, etc. etc. Not a big place, and it's been beat up by Wilma, but it's unlike a zoo, you can get very close to these animals. Actually there's a camel up front that you can play with as you like. If you get lucky, you might even get to feed the animals. They say not open on weekdays, but if you go, they'll kindly let you in anyway. (usually)
http://www.evergladesoutpost.org/
A baby tiger that outpost is taking care of:
05-09-25-sinba.jpg

By the way, Florida city is where turnpike ends, does a steep left turn, and joins with US-1. Then you'll see a miami subs on the right, a longjohn silvers, a diver's outlet, a wendy's, and a restaurant called Mutiners on the left. (which I recommend) I'm just saying this because it took me a while to figure out where florida city was when I moved in last year.

The wrecks in Miami Beach area are interesting because they're in shallow water so you can take your time checking them out. You can try Tarpoon divers or RJ's. Tarpoon kinda hops on RJ's boat since Tarpoon doesn't have their own boat. Anyway, Rio de Miami is a cool shipwreck, army tanks are nice.. The Pipes (a bunch of sunken pipes) is really nice, with tons of fish. Call them ahead of time, their destination is prescheduled. You can check out their schedule here:
http://www.tarpoondivecenter.com/dive_0511.htm
A picture from pipes:
05-08-23paradise.jpg

I'm sure you'll get lots of response. hope your planning goes well.

Hey sounds like a great trip! But dont plan too much, and dont drive rush hours! Rental cars have a heck of a tax on them in FL so check the rates-shop around! I would do a day or two in WestpalmBeach, I dive out of Boynton beach that is the south end this small burb has 1/2 dozen dive boats and I dive with=
www.splashdowndivers.com
Great boat,Great staff=The best,!! Safe neat clean boat , and dive shop on site for equipment and fills un-like some opps* Parking next to boat! Parking at some other WPB dive boats can be a hassle trust me!
They have some sweet reefs with lots marine life than more than you may find in the Keys they do a drift dive reef & wreck,Boynton lacks the motel/hotels so locals and the divers in the know dive thease opp's,
North WPB has some good opps,nice drift dives and fun sites to dive more tourist and money type.Pompano Beach has some fun boats,
We tend to stay at a pals place,but have rented off Ocean =a block or two in,, that time of year you plan for 1/2 of a ocean hotel/resort cost's
The Keys have some Great dives not sure on your skills,but the Bibb,Duane,Grove ship wrecks and so on are the some of the Best Keys dives I have done. KeyLargo would be a good base camp are and lots too many good opps,and a few not so good.
We stay at Dunns Ocean view Inn pub and motel,Islamorada kind of mid keys,
www.theocean-view.com
This small motel has a sweet pool,new! only a few rooms-all new re-done with tile,mini fridge,micro,and BBq to cook your fish or lobster on! get a room away from the pub cause this place rock's-I mean realy rocks at night! Owned by a Ret Pro Football player he has put his money out in this palce. One note on the Keys some places are nice and you pay big $$$ some are dumps so check them out first!
Also in the North Keys-do a Google = John Pennekamp coral reef park is a good dive area,boats opps run too and from this dive area=easy dive !
Also check out Robbies in Islamorada and feed the Tarpon,Its the best $1 .00 or two you will spend in the Keys,they have a nice are,boat rentals,shops-ice cold beer,fishing charters,nice place to relax after a long day!
www.robbies.com
That time of year water is in the 70's and well i'm used to cold water "Lakemichigan" but locals tend to use 7mm to dry suit's if they are in water all day,The SI is were the wind will cool you off and you need some top side warm stuff ie. like sweat pants wind breaker=I use a 3mm full suit with a 1mm microprene first layer and am toasty,but dive with boats that have hot water and that realy makes you warm up nice! you pick the gear you will like to use.
Crystal river I would use Birds underwater,
www.birdsunderwater.com
They run a nice shop,lots of place s to stay on the water,Call them to plan a dive or tour their DM's and Inst's can find and show you the Mantee and they can be hard to find as it cools down!also a cool dive in a undewater cave under the Crystal river just ask and see the pet shrimp!
Get some great travel info also inc maps at
www.visitflorida.com
Also for dive opps and some great Florida dive site info get your free copy!=
www.scubanews.com
hope this helps I'm going down in a few weeks and man I'm Cranked!!
Dive safe,
Brad

capybara:
Hi, we're thinking of diving in Florida for a week in January and wanted to get some advice/help planning our itinerary. We'd like to snorkel with the manatees, try some spring diving, and spend some time on the coast. We like wrecks, turtles and sharks too. Where are the best places to dive in the winter? Any boat op recommendations? Places to stay? What are the vis and temps like, and should I wear my tropical 3mm fullsuit+3mm corewarmer+beanie, or my 7 mm fullsuit +/- hooded vest (my California getup)? I was thinking something like fly into Miami, drive to Key Largo or West Palm Beach, then end up in Crystal River area and fly out of Orlando. But I'm not familiar with FL and don't know if that's too much driving. Thanks for your help!

I like the smaller boats and have had nice dives with "Miss Conduct" and "Avid Diver" in Lauderdale. Both are six pack boats and more flexible, basically first to book has most say on what site to dive!!!!

I'd agree with moneysavr that splashdown runs a GREAT dive op. Boynton Beach is between Boca Raton and West Palm Beach.
It's a short boat ride to the reefs and/or wrecks. The boat almost never has more than 8-10 people in the winter, usually if you go during the week, there's only 2-6 people on the boat, including the DM. The reef there is AMAZING, compared to many other Florida sites, very colorful, with a lot of sponge life. They also allow first to book to suggest the site.

I usually wear a 7mm full suit in the winter. It's not THAT cold, but if you're staying down for 2 60 minute dives, you'll be thankful. Splashdown also has a HOT water shower if you're cold on the SI.

The vis is usually 40-60' and the water temps are in the mid 70's like around 74-75 F.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Great Info on the posts guys I was wondering how are the conditions and visibility in Jan/Feb for Key Largo diving (mainly the Grove)?
Prepare for a moderate current, rough seas, water and air temps in the high sixties to low seventies, and visibility in the 40-60' range. Have a backup plan (topside or backcountry) just in case your dive trip gets blown out. Key West, Bahia Honda State Park, Everglades National Park, Biscayne National Park, and South Beach are all great places to offgass!

Im curious anyone else dove with Miss Conduct or Avid Diver??? Rreason I ask is I had a good time with both but no-one else seconds my thoughts......Just wondering

Thanks everyone for the detailed replies. Love the insider tips! This sounds like it will be fun. What kind of wetsuits do you normally wear out there, a 5 mm or 7 mm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom