Strobes and buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just bought my first strobe, the sealife sl950D. I took it down for my first dive and spent the next hour being banged in the face, and having it tangled up (on a retractor) with my reg hose. Does anyone have any idea why anyone would make a strobe (or any photography equipment for that matter) so positively buoyant?

Also, can anyone recommend a way to make it more neutral? I thought of putting something dense inside the strobe housing itself, since that's where the air is, or also putting some kind of weights to the strobe arm. I want to get it neutral but also more or less level (the strobe housing was always pointing to the surface which made it very hard to hold the whole rig level).

thanks,

FS

Go to a tire shop and buy some stick on lead weights that are used on exspensive wheels. They have them in different sizes, but ususally about one inch by one inch and quite thin. I'm not sure how bouyant that strobe is, so you might have to do some trial and error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom