traditional vs. bpw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regufool

Reaction score
I have been diving for 2 years now and have a few specialties under my wieght belt(haha) I am currenlty diving a traditional bc (oceanic) but lately I feel I may be better off switching to a back plate and wing can anyone offer any advice on weather this is a good idea or if im skipping steps in my progresion with such a drastic change anything at all would be greatly appriciated.

Steve

safe diving!

I wish I'd gone to BP/W sooner, instead of first buying an Oceanic jacket BC, then 5 years later a Seaquest Balance back-inflate, then 3 years later a BP/W - I would have saved a lot of money.

I got the single tank hogarthian rig at DSS but he has more traditional (non-hog) rigging as well.

Ray

In my perfect world, all divers would start out in bp/wings.

Go ahead and get one.

Try one first. I just dove my new DSS with the pro-fit harness today. I liked it alot. Just have to work on getting the harness the way I like now.

jonnythan:
In my perfect world, all divers would start out in bp/wings.

Go ahead and get one.
You forgot to say, IMO! :05:
regufool:
I have been diving for 2 years now and have a few specialties under my weight belt(haha) I am currenlty diving a traditional bc (oceanic) but lately I feel I may be better off switching to a back plate and wing can anyone offer any advice on weather this is a good idea or if im skipping steps in my progresion with such a drastic change anything at all would be greatly appriciated.
I like my BP/W better than my BC because I fine the location of the air bladder makes it easier for me to control my trim. I also like the open feeling with it all on my back. I also enjoy the weight of the backplate being located over my lungs. I also like the reduced amount of lead I have to wear without all the BC padding, pockets and stuff. I also like the lower price. I also like the shorter hose which doesn't dangle. I also like not being squeezed by the sides of my BC.

However, some people venomously disagree, so please make up your own mind.

:D

Rick Inman:
You forgot to say, IMO! :05:
In my perfect world..... :wink:

The poster already said he wants one.. just wondering if he needs a stepping stone.

He doesn't.

I guess people can try to talk him out of it, but sounds to me like he's already decided :)

regufool:
I have been diving for 2 years now and have a few specialties under my wieght belt(haha) I am currenlty diving a traditional bc (oceanic) but lately I feel I may be better off switching to a back plate and wing can anyone offer any advice on weather this is a good idea or if im skipping steps in my progresion with such a drastic change [?]

You've already exprienced the drastic regression. Skip as many steps as possible.

jonnythan:
In my perfect world..... :wink:
True, but you said, "Go ahead and get one", when you should have said, "you might want to get one, or you might not."

Rick Inman:
True, but you said, "Go ahead and get one", when you should have said, "you might want to get one, or you might not."
Like I edited my previous post to say.. he already said he wants one :wink:

I just got back from my first dive with my BP/W. Loved it. The reason I loved it? I wasn't really aware that it was there once we started diving.

It didn't ride up on me, didn't shift around, didn't get in the way (like all the rental bcd's I had before did).

That was dive #9 for me. So I guess I'm starting fairly early. I don't see myself diving with a BCD again ... unless there is somesort of problem with my wing and it's the only thing I can get my hands on :)

If you can, try one out. You may never give it back :wink:

Bjorn

Back
Top Bottom