Nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
Finally got the UW housing for my new a620, just in time for a trip this (long) weekend. This is my first real UW camera, not counting the disposables. I'm just a bit nervous about taking a camera underwater. I tested the housing in the tub and, of course, it passed with flying colors. The real test of confidence will be at 3-4 atmospheres.

just like me just before the 1st DOR...take your time inspecting the o-ring...i do three passes just before i put grease & affix it to the housing...i leave it for 5 minutes in the tub and take it our just before diving...something i learned from PPD clgsamson :D

...it'll be fine done worry, enjoy caban cove :wink:

Halthron:
Finally got the UW housing for my new a620, just in time for a trip this (long) weekend. This is my first real UW camera, not counting the disposables. I'm just a bit nervous about taking a camera underwater. I tested the housing in the tub and, of course, it passed with flying colors. The real test of confidence will be at 3-4 atmospheres.

I received my WP-DC90 last friday. I only did 1 dive with it but i love it already. The flash diffusor looks a bit clumsy at first but it certainly gets the job done. You'll love it.

As long as you apply the grease as instructed and seal the camera off in a clean environment... so no hairs or sand will get in between... you'll be fine. You'll soon forget to worry when you start snapping those nice pictures !

Halthron:

youl be fine, dont worry about it. i was just like you a real virgin with uw cams. now ive been around:) il see on sat bro

ALWAYS do a dive with your new housing WITHOUT the camera in it.......why take the chance? I've had too many leaking housings, it's not a matter of if, but when it will flood.

For that first empty dive, it's a good idea to put a small weight in the camera housing wrapped in paper towels to make it neutral or even negative too so its not floating up up up during the dive.

You should also lanyard it to your BCD too, don't trust the wrist strap. I lost one that way!

One more tip is to use moisture munchers too, the internal strobe and monitors do get warm and will cause sweat to form in the housing.

Happy picture taking, click click click.

:D I NEVER take an empty housing down on a dive. Even the new dslr got stuck in the housing and off we went. To me, the only thing not taking a new system fully loaded down will avoid is a gross manufacturer defect - likely to be seen if you take the time to carefully inspect the housing before heading out.

User error is the number one flooding problem and a test dive will not help this, really.

When you put your gear together, do so in a well lit area and go slowly. Get into a routine so you don't miss anything - some like to have a check-list. Double check the oring BEFORE you seal the housing. Watch as you seal it (so it doesn't pop out or so you can catch any bits of dirt you missed).

Before hitting the water, recheck the seals and make sure the buttons work. After your camera is handed to you, check everything again before you hit the bottom.

Have fun!!!! You'll love it!

alcina:
:User error is the number one flooding problem and a test dive will not help this, really.

When you put your gear together, do so in a well lit area and go slowly. Get into a routine so you don't miss anything - some like to have a check-list. Double check the oring BEFORE you seal the housing. Watch as you seal it (so it doesn't pop out or so you can catch any bits of dirt you missed).

Before hitting the water, recheck the seals and make sure the buttons work. After your camera is handed to you, check everything again before you hit the bottom.

Have fun!!!! You'll love it!

She hit it on the head!!!

Buy insurance and go have a blast.

I beg to differ, and this comes from experience.

I've had two of my 3 housings flood or drip leak on me.

And the leak source was the shutter button on one, and the zoom buttons on the other. Both were Fantasea housings.

So you can't tell me it was user error, and both housings were near new.

And when you're in the middle of a dive vacation, in my case in Cozumel or Fiji, with a ruined camera, you can't just go down to the local big electronics store to replace a camera. You're SCREWED when this happens.

So be reckless if you want, its your camera and vacation memories.

That can happen. And those might have been manufacturer problems which may or may not have been visible. If it didn't happen on the very first dive (you said they were "near new") then the test wouldn't have helped. It can always happen but every one who takes a camera down has to accept that this is simply part of the risk on each and every dive.

However, just coz you test it empty doesn't mean that problems like that will show up in the test.

I've been taking uw photo and video stuff underwater for a lot of years - 7 video housings and 10+ film/digital housings. Never tested any of them, never had a problem.

There are also differences between manufacturers so do your homework and talk to people who have used the rig you are thinking of - some have better reputations than others. In the end, it's always possible to get a dud...no matter how much you spend.

If you are going on holiday and are concerned, it does pay to check out the possibility for replacing a camera or hiring one - just in case. Then check with your insurance company to see if you can simply do what you need to do right away and get reimbursed...some are very quick after the initial phone call so you can get back in the water again.

Investing in a backup camera can be an option, too. Get one that fits the same housing...most housings for digital cameras aren't electronic, just push buttons, so drying it out really well after the F-word and sticking in the second camera gets you back in action. I always carry a second camera (may or may not fit my housing, I live on the edge, you know :wink: ) for land stuff as I hate to drag the housed camera out of the housing for topside stuff and lugging it in the case is too much effort - and in hot climes not such a good idea.

Could it happen? Heck, yes! Am I going to waste a dive on the possibility? Nope :wink: Am I insured? You betcha :D Do I have a backup system? Most usually :) Remember - shopping is FUN! lol

YMMV but always remember - this is meant to be fun stuff, so don't worry too much about it...just be careful and thorough.

My question is if it leaks is it usually a very slow leak? If this is the case could you abort the dive ane start to surface. or if the camer is positive bouyant you could let it go and it would float to the top but then you may not be able to find it on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom