Venice Beach Dive Report and Cruel Joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dove Venice Beach on Saturday (11/5/05) - visibility was ~2-3 feet (low vis but good for toothing) and water temperature was ~71F (I used my 7mm suit). I found numerous small teeth and a couple of broken Megs.

I was also the victim of a cruel joke when, during my 2nd dive, I noticed something that looked like a PERFECT +6" meg. I swam over and picked it up only to notice that it was actually a replicate made from cement (see pic below). - It broke my heart.

Does anyone have any background information on it (who, why, ..etc). It was ~20ft down and is actually a very realistic fake. Someone put a decent amount of time into it.

View attachment 24184

It's a "Morgan".
One of the local divers has been setting them out there for years.
It should have a serial # on the back.
They also come in several sizes.
I have yet to find 1 but know several people that have more than 1.

My wife is the recipient of two of Bob Morgans WC Productions teeth. I jokingly asked him one day why he plants em, and he said, "so the person who finds it knows what a Meg looks like now and really sets the bug in 'em to find one for themselves!"

He's also a member of one of FL's amature fossiling groups. Great guy to chat with!

I figured you guys would know what it is. :D

Too bad it wasn't real - but a nice souvenir

I've got two of Bob's phonies. The first time, I about had a cow. It's huge, around 7". The other is around 4".

I've found a bunch. One was about a foot long. Not exactly a cruel joke, merely silly. He also regularly puts them up on display at entry points where he's planted them. They must be popular because they get swiped from time to time.

totally off topic, but thanks for the carlos fix, colin! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom