Destin Dive Report - 8 Nov 05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
Date: 8 Nov 05
Wx: Sunny and 60F early (warming to 80F), winds N to NE 5-15 kts.
Seas: Calm in the Bayou and Bay. Gulf was smooth to 2 ft.
Temp: No thermocline. About 75 F from top to 85 ft.

Boat Info: Boat ran great. One of my bilge pumps is intermittent.

Prologue: We left the marina at 0630. Just Candy and Stone. Bayou and Bay were calm. Marine forecast called for light NE wind, turning SE in the afternoon. They were pretty close. Once through the Pass, seas built to about a foot at the Navarre Barge, and two feet at the Lost Tug. We were able to make over 20 mph all day.

Dive One: Navarre Barge. What a great day for diving. Vis was about 50 feet. The barge was covered in juvenile red snapper, but there were many of legal size, and even a couple of big Sows. Since the snapper season is over, we settled for some smallish triggerfish.

Dive Two: Lost Tug (Whitman). What an awesome day for diving! We rolled off the boat in 85 ft of water and could see the bottom! For the first time ever, we could see all of the junk that makes up the Lost Tug at once. Again, the dominate species was red snapper. We shot more triggers.

Dive Three: Elmore Barge. Once again, the vis was about 80 ft. Same combination of red snapper and triggers. This time Candy picked up a black snapper and flounder as well. At the end of the dive I spotted a Sandbar Shark (about 6 ft). Candy clipped her stringer to mine and we started up. The shark came back when we were at about 20 ft. After I got on the boat, the shark came back and buzzed Candy again.

Epilogue: By the time we headed home, the wind had shifted a little more easterly. Swell dropped from 2 ft to smooth by the time we were 15 miles SW of the pass. We made it back to port about 1530 after a trip of 73.5 nm (84.6 statute).

Thanks for the report.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom