Oh no! TITAN TRIGGERS 2002

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in a group of divers attacked by a triggerfish (not sure if it was a titan or not) in Fiji in late 2000. Apparently they are very territorial - we could see the nest the female had carved out in the sand, and the male harassed us the entire dive, biting our fins. Left teethmarks. The divemaster told us before entering the water to keep an eye out for them as it was their breeding season, and they had been a problem of late. But that was 2000, not 2002.

We don't have Titan Triggers around here, just Grey Triggers.

They can be speared and threaded through the eyeballs on a stringer, and they will still bite the crap out of you.

Many times, I have tried to move an arm and thought I was entangled in monofiliment, only to look down and see a dying, blind Triggerfish holding onto a wrist lanyard or my wetsuit with its teeth.

A scratch,a mere flesh wound nothing more.Have at me you coward. Triggers will try to get a freeby here out of any speared fish.I actually had to push 5 of them from a snapper this Sunday.They are yummy,but these were 2 small.

Back in May, my dive buddy was chased by Titan triggers twice on one trip. The first time he made the mistake of going up and was harassed for several minutes. The second time he was more prepared, let the fish get close to his feet, and then clouted it with his fin.

Titan triggers have conical territories that get bigger as they go upwards, so the best thing to do is stay near the bottom and swim away. If you go up, the territory keeps getting bigger and the fish keeps chasing you.

Zept

I think the triggers are in some sort of season here. They've become very aggressive. I watched a giant Picasso chase down a buddy last weekend. He's been bit before. A guy I work with has a scar on his face from one. It took a good sized chunk out of his face! :eek:

we've got lots of titans around where i dive. see them almost every dive. i think breeding season is over but you can never be sure. one of the instructors had a chunk bit off from the base of his palm. doctors had to glue it back with some new fangled surgical thingy. quite cool i say! he tells me that knives are pretty useless. let them attack your fins instead.

Well, certainly nice to know I'm not alone eh? Last year, I posted a message about my co-instructor who was attacked 4 consecutive times in 4 consecutive dives by ... almost positive about this, the same trigger!

May that's the reason why she is on vacation this trigger season!

I don noe abt ur area..but according to my diving pals, they are everywhere in this region..see them is nothing new to them. As I'm a newbie..havent encounter them yet :D ...but I believe I'll get to see them one day :D. my pals advice is stay away from their nest..they are just protecting their nest so just look out for the nest and we'll be fine ... believe it or not ...up to u :)

Back
Top Bottom