First but not last post in this section

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ten9T6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, this section is kind of quiet....So, I thought I would post something.

I have been thinking a lot lately about how out of shape I have let myself get....I went from running everyday in the military to running to the frige. :D

Although I have let myself get way out of shape....I never really had problems diving. My SAC rate is good (it can always be better).....no problems carring gear or people to and from the water...very comfortable in the water...and so on. But, after a picture that I saw of myself at Lake Travis, I almost fell over. With some of the courses that I want to take, I do not need to add my current physical conditioning to the already present dangers. Not very wise.

This in combination with the fact that I will be a daddy soon (our first), has helped me make tha 180 and head back in the right direction. I need to be around for as long as possible and be a good example......:05:

Anyway...enough rambling.. I just got back from the gym. 5.5 weeks in and I am down 24 lbs.:D

The only down side to all of this is I have a couple of thousands of dollars in gear that will no longer fit me in the very near future. :05:

Kenny

Congrats!
My fiance and I just joined a gym in hopes of getting results similar to yours. May I ask what your routine is? (How many days a week, how long are you there, and what do you do there as far as cardio/strength training?)

Wish I could get my butt motivated too. I've put on almost 20 pounds since getting an office job in May. I just can't seem to find the motivation to go work out even though I have a membership at the local YMCA.
Ber :lilbunny:

devolution365:
Congrats!
My fiance and I just joined a gym in hopes of getting results similar to yours. May I ask what your routine is? (How many days a week, how long are you there, and what do you do there as far as cardio/strength training?)

As far as eating.....I am no longer drinking cokes....eating sugar.. I have really gone low carb. I have not restricted how much I eat, just what I eat. And I have been drinking lots of water.

For the gym...I haven't started hitting the weights again..yet. I am waiting another week. For now, I have been doing the elliptical machine. I am on it first thing in the morning, before I eat. For the past week, I have been doing 30 min keeping my heart rate at about 162-164 or so. From there, I like to spend a few minutes in the steam room. I am usually in and out of they gym in a little over 1 hour.

Kenny

Way to go! That's an excellent start. Hit the weights inmediately. What's preventing you from doing so? I hope it's not the misconception that one will do cardio to burn fat first, and then once reaching a target "weight" (ideally you should go more by body composition) will start weight training to maintain. I hope that's not the case. That's a myth that refuses to die despite evidence to the contrary. If you are curious about body composition, have it measured at your gym. I'm sure there are personel qualified to do so.

Keep in mind that true fitness is a lifestyle, and though demanding, it's very rewarding. It's not simply a matter of "getting in shape" to suit certain seasons or ocassions. You seem to be taking the right steps and have a worthwhile goal, to be around your child in good health and to be a better diver. That will keep you focused and returning for more.

Best of luck and please keep us posted with your progress

I know I should start hitting the weights...and i will very soon...I have been trying to tackle everything in steps. The first step was adjust what I was eating and not eating....getting back on my vitamins...From there I started adjusting my sleep schedule and started hitting the gym for cardio. I guess the reason I started with cardio is because I get out of breath doing certain things...So, I guess I just gravitated that direction.

I know to truely change my body shape and composition is to hit the waits...

So...weights will be the next step. If I don't break it out in steps, my personality will attack it at 200%...and I am afraid that could lead to burnout. Plus, I need to come up with a good workout plan for the weights. In the past....way in the past...I used to lift for weight and size. Now I just want to do it to get in shape and build endurance.

So...anyone want a pretty new Ranger LTD xxl and 4 Henderson suits....I will have some for you in a couple of months...haha:D

Kenny

Ten9T6:
...From there I started adjusting my sleep schedule ...

No wonder you're getting awesome results. Sleep is such a KEY component, yet sadly one of the most neglected. Keep up the great work

Update...

Down 32 lbs.....got properly fitted for some running shoes at a local running store last week. Now I can donate the old shoes. I went and watched the White Rock Marathon this past weekend and it motivated me to sign up for some local running classes. Run / Walk / Crawl, I am going to cross the line on the 26.2 next year. :D ...oh yah..I am down 3 pant sizes.. :14:

more later....

Kenny

Ten9T6:
Update...

Down 32 lbs.....got properly fitted for some running shoes at a local running store last week. Now I can donate the old shoes. I went and watched the White Rock Marathon this past weekend and it motivated me to sign up for some local running classes. Run / Walk / Crawl, I am going to cross the line on the 26.2 next year. :D ...oh yah..I am down 3 pant sizes.. :14:

more later....

Kenny

That's great! You should look into Leukemia Society or Run Injury Free for a local marathon training group. Leukemia Society has you raise money for a good cause, and in return, you get free coaching, entry, and travel to a marathon in a cool place (you get to choose from several). RIF is a little different- sometimes they're associated with a charity, and others it's just a fee-based training group (though it's like $70/yr or something small).

You'll also get to meet a lot of people like you, willing to keep you motivated and progressing towards your goal. I don't think I would've been willing to put in the training I needed for triathlon if I didn't have such great training partners.

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom