Key Largo diving advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm going down to Key Largo this Sunday 11/13 to 11/17 to get some quick diving in. May venture down to Key West as well if I have time
Just curious which wetsuit I should bring? Will a 3mm shorty work or would I be better off bringing my 5mm full?

I'm using a charter called Silent World and staying at a small/cheap place called the Hungry Pelican Resort. Anyone ever use this dive charter or stay at this place?

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

-Mike

macado:
I'm going down to Key Largo this Sunday 11/13 to 11/17 to get some quick diving in. May venture down to Key West as well if I have time
Just curious which wetsuit I should bring? Will a 3mm shorty work or would I be better off bringing my 5mm full?

I'm using a charter called Silent World and staying at a small/cheap place called the Hungry Pelican Resort. Anyone ever use this dive charter or stay at this place?

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

-Mike

1. Silent world is great.
2. Hungry Pelican is cheap. Stayed there many times. Cheap and has a bed- what more do ya want?
3. 5mm may be a bit much. 3mm full would be fine.

macado:
May venture down to Key West as well if I have time

If you're going down to Key West to drink and have a good time,
then you'll like it.

If you're wanting to drive an extra 2-3 hours for diving?
then don't waste your time. The diving in Key Largo is much
better and doesn't require the extra drive.

mike_s:
If you're going down to Key West to drink and have a good time,
then you'll like it.

If you're wanting to drive an extra 2-3 hours for diving?
then don't waste your time. The diving in Key Largo is much
better and doesn't require the extra drive.

Excellent, this is what I wanted to hear. Wasn't sure if the diving was better or worse in Key Largo. I'll probably stick to Key West, not going to do much drinking on this trip.

Just walked in the door from a week in Key Largo. Water temp was in low 80's to high 70's. I dove with a 1mm and was fine with both wrecks (S. Grove - don't miss it!!! & Duane) as well as reefs. I think a 3mm would be plenty.
Have also stayed at Hungry Pelican several times. Nice people and a decent place to flop. No frills, but hey, you're going for the diving, right?
Have a great trip.

Any other divers going to be in Key Largo at this time? I'm sure Silent World will find me somebody but I need a buddy. :)

I just got back from diving in key largo with silent world. The water temp is probably pretty close to key west. It was about 79. I had my 3mm full with me but I did not want to use it so I bought a 3mm shortty and stayed warm. I am small too 6' 165 lbs.

Those guys are great...have you ever dove with them?

macado:
I
Will a 3mm shorty work ?

3mm should be fine, although everyone is different.

I'm using a charter called Silent World . Anyone ever use this dive charter ?

Silent World great operation and crew. IMHO:wink:

-Mike

I would suggest bringing both if you can. That way if it's a tad bit too chilly for you, you can still enjoy the rest of the dives by throwing on the thicker suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom