Hi all, spring diving close to Tampa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rally

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am from Tampa with around 300+ dives under my belt overseas I am looking to do some spring diving as I never dove in the states. Where are there some close fresh water dives (springs) near Tampa? The closest is like Ocala right? What is the vis conditions? Do they do tours at all as I am solo (my dive partner is sick)?

Thanks

Go to www.floridacaves.com. At the bottom of the home page they have a listing of "all" of the springs, caverns, and cave sites in Florida. The easiest spring dives close to you are probably Weeki Wachee, Crystal River, Blue Grotto, and Devil's Den.
However, I'm a "warm water, pretty fish" kind of diver so I'd get some other recommendations from people on the board!

rally:
Hi all,

I am from Tampa with around 300+ dives under my belt overseas I am looking to do some spring diving as I never dove in the states. Where are there some close fresh water dives (springs) near Tampa? The closest is like Ocala right? What is the vis conditions? Do they do tours at all as I am solo (my dive partner is sick)?

Thanks
Hi rally, welcome to SB! There's lots of really great spring diving in Florida. Vis conditions depend on the number of divers kicking up the bottom but are usually outstanding. The best days, you can clearly see the treetops from a pretty good depth! I've only been to Devil's Den and Blue Grotto, across the street from each other in Williston. And Ginnie Springs is a regular spot for many SBers. You can probably even carpool up there with someone (or more) from Tampa! The Florida Caves link debersole gave you is a good one. (Note you have to be cave certified to dive at some of them. I didn't check your profile before posting.) Plan/post a trip in the Florida Conch Divers forum. Finding someone to dive with should be easy.......heck, I'll go if I'm available!

There is also Paradise Springs(not actually a spring) in Belleview just below Ocala. That would round out the list of spring diving available to OW certified divers "close" to Tampa that I am aware of.

Alexander Springs is a little further away, but a buddy is not required by the operator to dive there, and the depths are shallow, so that might be an option for you.

scubafool:
There is also Paradise Springs(not actually a spring) in Belleview just below Ocala. That would round out the list of spring diving available to OW certified divers "close" to Tampa that I am aware of.

Alexander Springs is a little further away, but a buddy is not required by the operator to dive there, and the depths are shallow, so that might be an option for you.

Thats awesome anyone ever dove alexander solo? Is it something were you could have a snorkeler following you as my GF is not certified yet.

Weeki Wachee is the closest quality spring to Tampa. The mermaid show and family water park can be fun for newcomers also.

http://mermaid.weekiwachee.com/

See the side bar link for scuba diving.

Chad

rally:
Thats awesome anyone ever dove alexander solo? Is it something were you could have a snorkeler following you as my GF is not certified yet.

Yes and yes. It's a good one tank dive and lots to see for a snorkeler. Make sure you bring your c card because they keep it at the entrance station until you leave.

A friend is doing his OW class at Weeki Wachee this saturday so I'm going along. Never been but it should be fun. How can you go wrong with mermaids..............

rally:

You could try Rainbow River. I liked it a lot with all the fish and turtles you see there. The visibility is clearer than most rivers but not as clear as a typical spring basin. It's pretty cost effective if you can handle paddling upriver in a canoe and using the canoe as your dive flag. (Don't forget to have a dive flag! This is a navigable waterway.) Your GF can float in the canoe and or snorkel as she wants. The max depth is about 20 feet and there are frequent areas where the depth is less than 10 feet almost all the way across the river so it's easy to get in and out near the bank.

Here is my website with a few pics, most of which (except the first two and the last) were taken at Rainbow.

http://kucks.org/Corey/divepix/divepix.html

Here is a commercial site with directions.

http://www.floridacaves.com/Rainbow.htm

Whatever you do, have fun!

Weeki Wachee requires you to dive with an "approved" divemaster or instructor and they require reservations. If you or a member of your group is not a "professional", you'll need to try to hook up with a group that's already planning on going. Our shop does some checkouts there so we frequently have instructors there on weekends. If interested, PM me.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom