Nikonos V question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

basiltan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Are accessories for the Nikonos V cheaper now that it is no more in production? Anyone knows if Sea & Sea and Ikelite will discontinue it's accessories for Nik V or rather production of them?

Hi,

Just bought a Nikonos V, 15mm lens and DF-11.... Nop, Nikonos accessaries are still quite expensive.. The cheapest place to get them is in Japan.

Dunno if Sea&Sea will continue to sell Nikonos accessaries.

Liang

they seem to have taken them off the shelves here, haven't seen any Nikonos stuff for an age. Bummer, as I just baught one before the announcement....

Jonathan

Thanks for the input guys. I thought nobody knew what I was talking about. I think we're just about the last breed of Nik V users. Hope we enjoy it while it last.... until the inevitable. Thanks again.:boom:

Most retailers are letting their inventories dwindle, yet prices have not really dropped.

check out www.helix.com for inventory. Check out their ebay listings. They often list Nikonos stuff without a reserve.

The Nikonos-V is discontinued but you can still buy the house in many shops. The press release below is from Nikon's website. They promise to provide accessories until the end of 2002.

I live in Japan and I have had no problem finding new camera bodies or accessories in stores here. Prices are the same here. You can get second hand lenses very cheap.

http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/news_release/2001/nikonos-v.htm

September 2001

NIKONOS-V camera body to be discontinued

Nikon Corporation will stop making the NIKONOS-V camera body in the near future. Regional Nikon distributors and importers can be contacted for details as to when the product will be discontinued.

A customer base of divers and underwater photographers have favored this camera since it was introduced in 1984.

In light of relatively low sales volumes for this niche product in an age of growing operating cost-consciousness, however, Nikon determined that it could not continue to justify the cost and effort of specialized production required to manufacture it in small quantities.

We are sorry for any problems that this may cause, and ask you to understand our need to make this decision.

Nonetheless, Nikon remains proud and appreciative that the NIKONOS-V has enjoyed a long, distinguished product life.

Although the company has no current plans to introduce new underwater photography products, we will continue to stay abreast of the market for next-generation underwater cameras.

About NIKONOS-V interchangeable lenses and accessories
Although Nikon will discontinue manufacture of the NIKONOS-V camera body, it will continue to supply accessories for the NIKONOS-V, including interchangeable lenses, speedlight, close-up outfit unit, etc., at least until the end of 2002. At a later date, the company will decide whether or not to continue offering these accessories in 2003 and beyond.

Welcome TJO.

You must be shopping in different shops to me - I've seen the occasional body in Akiharbara but no lenses etc for some months now. Do you know who is still stocking them? My Nihongo is not up to such difficult questions yet! I can do how much is that? and I'll take that. But do you stock xyz is a bit beyond me yet....

Cheers
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan (Jeff right? we met in Atami a few weeks ago and before that in the Irish Pub in Shinbashi).

I bought a Nikonos lenses at Yodobashi Camera and some Sea & Sea Nikonos stuff at SRC a few weeks ago. Yodobashi also had some Nikonos V bodies. 'Open Air' also have Nikonos supplies.

I saw on www.yodobashi.com that they still have Nikonos lenses and that stock is small. Better hurry! Register at Yodobashi and you get another 10-20% discount... well you can collect the 'points' and buy other stuff!

I do all my photography & video in digital now. But... Nikonos is a great camera. I even used it on land photography when I was an Army man.

Thomas

Sorry TJO it really is Jonathan and not Jeff..... However, I have a feeling I know who you mean if you were diving with Patric's mob..... Where's the Irish pub in Shimbashi?

I'll certainly check out Yodobashi once I get someone to translate the web site for me.... Any clues to where it is? Not sure what SRC is either to tell you the truth!

Perhaps we should meet up and you can take me toy shopping!

Cheers
Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom