Conditions today (Sat. 11/12) at Boynton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivesWithTurtles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Conditions today (Sat. 11/12, afternoon) at Boynton:

Sites: Capt. Tony and Gulfstream Ledge
Seas: 3 with occasional 4 or 5 (better than predicted)
Temp: 79-80
Vis: 30 feet at both sites
Color: Green (water, not divers faces)
Current: Very gentle north; light surge on reef

On the reef there are lots of broken branching coral and some broken sponges, but a great portion of Boynton's beautiful sponges, fans, and other coral and inverts are intact. The usual big schools of grunts and all of the other fish are still around. Not a trace of algae left on the fans or anywhere. The storm seems to have done a nice job cleaning off the algae. Plenty of silt on the reef. I hope a few small winter blows knock off some of the silt. It's been a while since I dove Boynton, so my point of comparison is lacking somewhat, but it looks like the reef made it through without any devastation.

I'm not a certified corn counter (I haven't done the PADI Corn Counter specialty), so I can't give you an accurate read on that.

In all, it's worth getting down now.

Oh, and did I mention the mating whale shark pair and school of about 40 hammerheads?

On Splashdown, Capt. Lynn is great as she always has been. But that Kevin guy (Scubakevdm), I just don't understand what y'all see in him. :05:

Nice report - thanks for posting. Would be cool to see the whale sharks, but I'd much rather see the hammerheads out and about (which I have yet to experience). Very cool that you saw so many! :thumb:

Oceandvr:
Nice report - thanks for posting. Would be cool to see the whale sharks, but I'd much rather see the hammerheads out and about (which I have yet to experience). Very cool that you saw so many! :thumb:

And, I forgot to mention the Architeuthis (giant squid) trying to feed on the whale sharks.

Just so that you don't get too excited, the whale sharks and hammerheads were narcosis, fantasy, psychosis, or just humor. :wink:

But, I did see a hammerhead at Boynton about 8 years ago. They do swim by occasionally. And there have been rare whale shark sightings there as well. Now, the Architeuthis, well.....

DivesWithTurtle:
And, I forgot to mention the Architeuthis (giant squid) trying to feed on the whale sharks.

Just so that you don't get too excited, the whale sharks and hammerheads were narcosis, fantasy, psychosis, or just humor. :wink:

But, I did see a hammerhead at Boynton about 8 years ago. They do swim by occasionally. And there have been rare whale shark sightings there as well. Now, the Architeuthis, well.....

Got'cha. :05: We've had rare whale shark sightings in the Gulf as well. I saw a blacktip on my last dive out in the Keys, but no hammerheads. I hope to see them one day though.

DivesWithTurtle:

But, I did see a hammerhead at Boynton about 8 years ago. They do swim by occasionally. .....
No Golf balls?
I like the one I think a year back,Kev was top side DM and had a group in the water one swam over as he was keeping a eye on the group on the reef,=They missed it!
I would of wet myself if I looked up!
And just think I called Capt.Lynn to get penciled in the book and she told me viz was 50' -she must of be forecasting in a week or so!
Ah its still a fun area to dive and nice report!
Brad

DivesWithTurtle:

Are you sure that the giant squid wasn't in fact Scubakevdm?

Brad - Lynn just told me it was 50' on the Tony, but only 30' on the reef.

We're going tomorrow (11/14)... I'll post the conditions.

howarde:
Are you sure that the giant squid wasn't in fact Scubakevdm?

Naw, giant squids grow to 50 or 60 feet. Kevin only grows to 10 feet or so. (Things look bigger underwater.)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom