Dive Propulsion Vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFrog01

Contributor
Reaction score
The more i hear about DPVs the more I want to try one out. As anyone here tried them? If so what did you think? MY FEAR is that i would enjoy it to much and want to end up getting one of my own. (Man would my wife be upset) I know Sea-Doo puts one out but from what i can tell it looks like a kids toy. What other brands are out there?:jaws:

I believe there is one called the Mako but that goes for around 2 grand. It seems like there are the 300-500 scooters which include the Sea Doo, I have one but haven't actually tried it out yet as no one that I dive with has one. I may end up taking it for a spin doing solo dive off the beach. Then they go up to like 2-3 grand.

There is a member on the board who has built or is almost done building his own DPV from a trolling motor. Seems pretty good actually.

aabond:
I believe there is one called the Mako but that goes for around 2 grand. It seems like there are the 300-500 scooters which include the Sea Doo, I have one but haven't actually tried it out yet as no one that I dive with has one. I may end up taking it for a spin doing solo dive off the beach. Then they go up to like 2-3 grand.

There is a member on the board who has built or is almost done building his own DPV from a trolling motor. Seems pretty good actually.

aabond.........get that sea doo in the water and let us know what you think of it. Be safe doing it.

Apolo makes a nice durable DPV.

Faralon is what military uses and it's $$$$$$

DPVs are fun and can increase your bottom time substancially.

Many of the decent DPVs cost over $1500 and can go much higher. Personally, (Disclaimer: we're an authorized SEA DOO dealer though not actively selling) out of the SEA DOOs I like the SEA DOO VS Supercharged. It has a low price point-under $600-and only weighs 18 lbs. w/battery. It's the only DPV in the SEA DOO line that would come close to competing with the more expensive brands-albeit still light duty. SEA DOO launched a new DPV at DEMA called the EXPLORER. It's larger and more powerful than the VS Supercharged(and more expensive) but after trying it in the pool, we didn't think it was much of an improvement. Hope this helps

Don't ever try a scooter - you will have to own one or feel like part of your body is missing whenever you dive. They're sure not cheap, especially the premier ones like Silent Submersion.

I have used a Seadoo and I loved it. As far as tool vs. toy? I think most of what we buy is toy not tool. Or a tool we use as a toy. Anyway back on subject... I am a pretty good sized fellow, and that Seadoo, which did look alot like a kid toy, pulled me through the water with no problem. Now it wasn't in the ocean with currents and all, but it was nice none the less, worked really well. My instructor had it, and let me use it right after I did my last cert dive, gave me the basics and turned me loose. I really enjoyed using it, it was pretty easy to use. I used the Seadoo Seascooter VS Supercharged. Here is a link to the one I was using: http://www.seascooter.net/products_super.htm
Let me know what you think if you try or get one.

But Tom is right, you try one you'll want one.

Tom Winters:
Don't ever try a scooter - you will have to own one or feel like part of your body is missing whenever you dive. They're sure not cheap, especially the premier ones like Silent Submersion.

Oh just put a knife in my back and twist.............this is what i was afrid of!:bigun2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom