Nikon D100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The Nikon D 100 looks like it might be a great choice for a housed underwater camera. Does anyone use one or know any info about this camera?

Thank you,
Caymaniac:nod:

Originally posted by caymaniac
The Nikon D 100 looks like it might be a great choice for a housed underwater camera. Does anyone use one or know any info about this camera?

Thank you,
Caymaniac:nod:

Just what I have read. Looks like it's a nice camera. There has been quite a lot of info coming out about this camera since it's release a couple weeks ago. I plan on ordering one in a month or two (moving this month or I would already have one). All the major housing manufactures will be making housings for this camera. Since the camera has just been released I'd expect a month or two before you start seeing housings on the market. Ikelite is usually the first, as he is quite apt at quickly putting out new housings. I already have a housed Nikon F-100 and a housed Nikon CP 995 digital (the digital is actually my wife's) in Aquatica housings. For me this seems to be the right ticket to UW digital. I'll be waiting for Aquatica to release their housing for this camera. The initial drawings I have seen looks very much like My F100 housing. All my lenses and lens ports will work, so I won't need anything but the camera and housing at first. Then later I'll need a couple of new strobes. That way I'll have two complete setups. For more info than I can give, take a look at: Wetpixil.com and Steves-digicams.com Both of these sites have UW digital fourms.

The the wait for a housing begins. Aquatica is hoping to have one done in time for DEMA in late October.

The D100 digital SLR eliminates several of the problems of digital underwater such as shutter lag and battery consumption and through the viewfinder composition.

I will still be able to use all my Nikon lenses from my N90s shooting.

A big downside is that the camera will not allow use of TTL strobe function at all. This will make macro flash photography more difficult.

Another problem is that this digital SLR has a field of view multiplier of 1.5. This is because the CCD is smaller than a piece of film. This will help macro, but hurt wide angle as the resulting field of view is decreased 50%. A 20mm lens will be like a 30mm lens.

I'm still looking forward to eliminating the film purchase, dropping it off, picking it up, scanning for hours.

Why exactly cant you have TTL with the D100? Then if you can't use TTL how will you use the flash or any flash for that matter? Wont you be able to plug in the hot shoe then plug in on the housing? Would you have to set some sort of syc speed, I dont get it?

Thanks,
Caymaniac :eek:

I've figured out that with digital, just muliply the regular lens size by 1.5 and you will have the size of lens figured out for digital.
Example: 50mm = 75mm, or a 16mm = 24mm. Of course this works with bigger lenses as well, 105mm = 158mm aprox. Anyway, this should not be a problem.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

After study, I'm now leaning torwards the Fuji S2, it's on a Nikon body and it will accept Ikelite stobes. Nikon thought that they would be smart and make a camera that would only accept their strobes. This idea was pointed out by Stephen Frink, you can get around it by having manual stobes but NO TTL.
A big thanks to "Rooster", " lipo2000", and "scorpiofish".
Now all I need is a housing maker.
Caymaniac
:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom