Great dives, but... (Panama City 11/12-13 05)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Saturday night was a bust... the 2-3 foot seas forecast turned out to be 6 with a 5-7 second period. That's "bone-breaking ladder" rough, so we canceled.
Sunday we dove the Quonset hut, Black Bart, USS Strength and Bridge span 1. Vis ranged from 15-20 feet on the Bart down to 3-5 feet on the Strength, but the overriding factor that made these dives sad wasn't the vis - it was the lack of life. Looks like the Red Tide events of a few weeks ago here really did a number on the inshore sites. Where I would expect to find a toadfish every 5 feet or so, I saw one on the Bart and none anywhere else. Where every empty barnacle shell usually houses a blenny, I saw about 20 empty shells for every occupied one. Where we usually find several batfish, there were two. The shoals of baitfish aren't there... we did see a few nice snapper and grouper, but no babies. No octopus. No adult blue crabs. The list goes on... I think I saw a grand total of three belted sandfish - normally we'd see hundreds.
On the bright side, I've seen it this way before, and the Gulf is remarkable in its recuperative powers. Still, it's sad.
Rick:sulkoff:

Things were pretty much like a ghost town at the Destin jetties on Friday too. Between the hurricanes and red tide, salt water diving has taken a pretty big hit this year. Morrison is still clear for the moment - I always have a back-up plan to get wet somewhere :D.

D'Oh

I'm looking to jump a boat before the year is up, hopefully, I'll have something better to report by then.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom