What to do in Miami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inspector#2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Always ask the locals! I have two days (24-25 Nov and 2-3 Dec) to kill on each side of my Blackbeards trip and am staying in Miami. What would the locals recommend for dry land entertainment?
Thanks for any ideas,
Dave

I would recommend attending a tea party in south beach. It's quite a trip. Just a day in south beach is a trip by itself, definitely entertaining.

we stayed down on the north end of Ocean Drive and just hung out.
The beach is good there, lots of restaurants, etc. It's a quick taxi
ride from where Blackbeards is.

lots of shopping one street over from Ocean Drive and on Lincoln Dr
The shops on Lincoln stay open to 10 or 11pm and the resturants
even longer. Everything in that area is very easy to walk to or
a quick taxi ride away, so no need for the expense of a rental car.
(if you got a rental car you'd just have to pay to park it anyway).

If you do want to rent a car and move around some, an everglades
swamp tour is pretty cool.

PM if you need some recomendations on where we stayed, etc.

ZenDiva:
Florida dive show is in West Palm Beach on the 2 and 3rd..but I'm not sure how far that is from miami....

West Palm is about an hour and half north of Miami. It'd require renting a car to make it cost effective, but might be worth it.

BTW... you don't have to go all the way back to the airport to rent a car.
Hertz and some other rental car shops have locations downtown near the
water and a short taxi ride from where Blackbeards docks... (you also don't
pay the airport concession fees by renting there).

I used to live in Miami Beach when I first washed ashore down here. I never heard of any "tea party" stuff. What is that? I heard of the Boston Tea Party. You go doing stuff like that today and the Coast Guard is going to arrest you for pollution.
Also, it's about 70 miles from downtown Miami to the PB Convention Center and the trip should take anywhere from 30 minutes to seven hours depending on the traffic and how much tea you consumed.
Interesting concept about zen diving. Those precepts sure didn't apply to a lot of the instructors I have dealt with over the years.

From South Beach you can catch busses from your hotel to other attractions. I can only take so much of the SoBe (South Beach lingo) and frankly I just can't afford to eat there! Bayside Marketplace is an option on the bus route and you can do touristy things there like pick up a local bus or water tour, go out drinking on the pirate ship, deep sea fishing and gambling. More tame, but pretty cool, is Parrot Jungle. There are a couple museums in Sobe including the Wolfsonian (traditional) or the new museum of erotic art! Whoo Hoo!

Ask your concierge or check out the brochure rack.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I will be getting a rental car for the 3rd. With all these good ideas now I have to make a schedule. Still haven't decided on a hotel for 3-4 but will be staying at the Holiday Inn on Biscane by Blackbeards before the boat leaves.
How dressy is the Tea Party and Sobe in general???
Dave

Closest to Miami is Everglades Safari Park, further north and a little better operation is Sawgrass Recreation Park

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom