Rear inflation BCD Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Dog

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver and not a strong swimmer. I just bought a Nighawk BCD and I am having a problem when hanging at the surface. The BCD wants to push me forward face first into the water unless if fin constantly. I have tried moving weights around and using minimal inflation. I fear that it will drown me if I ever black out or get in trouble at the surface. Any suggestions short of getting a jacket style BCD?
Thanks BD

lean back on it like it's a la-z-boy or little raft. you should only inflate enough so you don't sink, not enough so you're trying to get high up out of the water.

one problem some new divers have is needing a lot of weight. if you're new and toting lots of lead, and need to inflate quite a bit to float it, that could tend to push you. (pillow of air behind your neck, weight at your waist - like a fulcrum.) the main fix to this is dive a lot so you get more comfy and don't need so much weight. needing lots isn't a failure, but a common happening when you're new.

no need to change your bc. ask your buddies or instructor to see what you could do better (provided they use back inflate, too).

Black Dog:
I am a new diver and not a strong swimmer. I just bought a Nighawk BCD and I am having a problem when hanging at the surface. The BCD wants to push me forward face first into the water unless if fin constantly. I have tried moving weights around and using minimal inflation. I fear that it will drown me if I ever black out or get in trouble at the surface. Any suggestions short of getting a jacket style BCD?
Thanks BD
Hi black dog and welcome to scubaboard. I have a knighthawk BC and do not have this problem, nor do the many divers I know that also dive with a knighthawk.
But for the rest of this thread I would suggest some popcorn. :lurk: :happyjaz:

aw, c'mon, david, i was nice.

I've been diving with a Zeagle scout latley, and the weight pockets are at the back, so I don't really have this problem - but one thing you can try is put some weight on your tank (cut down weight belt or similar) this puts the weight further back, putting the centre of balance further back, and should help keep you upright.

Another idea is maybe to lie back,this way, you are floating on your back, and wont be pushed forward, but you will still be floating on top of the BC.

Z...

BabyDuck:
aw, c'mon, david, i was nice.
You are always nice, :wink:

You are probably overweighted. You were on the right track when you said "minimal inflation."

Welcome to the underwater world Black Dog. First let me reiterate the fact that a BCD is not a PFD (personal flotation device). The BCD is designed to work optimally underwater, not at the surface.

With that said, I will tell you that back inflation BC's have a tendency to push you forward at the surface (look at the physics, the float is on your back). The advice to add some counterweight at the tank helps, as does placing your weights a little further back on your belt. A conventional jacket BCD does typically feel more balanced at the surface for most people. This does not however preclude them from rolling to one side or the other if the diver goes limp (ie.. you still may end up face down).

I use a back inflation vest and love it. It's steamlined, free up front, and very balanced underwater. Get used to kicking back at the surface, relaxing, and enjoy yourself.

My $.02

Calinectes:
Welcome to the underwater world Black Dog. First let me reiterate the fact that a BCD is not a PFD (personal flotation device). The BCD is designed to work optimally underwater, not at the surface.

With that said, I will tell you that back inflation BC's have a tendency to push you forward at the surface (look at the physics, the float is on your back). The advice to add some counterweight at the tank helps, as does placing your weights a little further back on your belt. A conventional jacket BCD does typically feel more balanced at the surface for most people. This does not however preclude them from rolling to one side or the other if the diver goes limp (ie.. you still may end up face down).

I use a back inflation vest and love it. It's steamlined, free up front, and very balanced underwater. Get used to kicking back at the surface, relaxing, and enjoy yourself.

My $.02

I think you said it very well -worth a lot more than $.02.

Black dog,
Welcome. I had one of these BCDs, never had any problems like yours. Too much weight is probably the problem. This BCD does have some weight pockets in back. You can put upto 5 lbs in each side. I would never put more than 30% of your total weight in the back pockets. It should help balance you. For your minimum weight, next time your at 500PSI, performing your safety stop, dump all the air out of the BCD, if you go down, your over weight.

Questions for you:
What wetsuit are you using? (7 mil?)
What tank are you using? (Al 80?)
How much weight are you using?

This will help narrow down the possibilities.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom