Diffuser with YS-90Auto and fiber optic cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purcahsed a YS-90 auto strobe as well as the fiber optic cable. This cable connects to the housing and strobe. The strobe is triggered via the camera's internal flash. I am looking for a way to set up the strobe so it can use the fiber optic cable (utilizing the cable's strobe mount) as well as a diffuser.

The strob comes with a diffuser. However, to use the fiber optic cable I must use the strobe attachement that comes with the fiber optic cable. Both the fiber optic cable attachement and diffuser hook onto the strobe in the same manner. The cablel attachment is open in the middle and can not be used as a diffuser. On the other hand, the diffuser can not be used with the cable as the diffuser only fits on the bottom 2/3 of the strobe. I have tried to attach both fittings on to the strobe, but one does not fit over the other, so it appears only one or the other can fit on to the strobe.

What have others who have a ys-90 and fiber optic cable done inorder to have a diffuser when working with the fiber optic cable?

Thanks for the assistance.

ejg62

Thanks.

I was thinking something along the same route, but I did not know if 1) it would work; and 2) if I was missing an accessory that was already available.

ejg62

I made a diffuser using Laz's instructions and have been using it for several years. The only problem I've had with it is the glue holding the center part in has turned loose a couple of times, easily fixed. There seems to have been an incompetent in the manufaturing department! :D

One more point on the solution pictures: there appears to be 2 solutions: 1) cut out the flat diffuser piece from the diffuser cap that fits over the light; 2) cut-off the top part of the strobe attachment where the fiber optic cable is inserted into the plastic. The diffuser attachement is then snapped into place so you have 2 pieces attached to the lens.

Which solution are people using?

ejg62

Sounds about right but I super glued the inner piece to the outer ring so I wouldn't have 2 pieces to deal with.

I'll take a photo of mine and post it.

Here's a couple of photos...

Front...
64087603_e1b8c7049a.jpg

Back...
64087604_31fe370334.jpg

The hole goes over the infrared window on the strobe and the fober optic cable plugs into that little black thingy....technical term :D

I recently purcahsed a YS-90 auto strobe as well as the fiber optic cable. This cable connects to the housing and strobe. The strobe is triggered via the camera's internal flash. I am looking for a way to set up the strobe so it can use the fiber optic cable (utilizing the cable's strobe mount) as well as a diffuser.

The strob comes with a diffuser. However, to use the fiber optic cable I must use the strobe attachement that comes with the fiber optic cable. Both the fiber optic cable attachement and diffuser hook onto the strobe in the same manner. The cablel attachment is open in the middle and can not be used as a diffuser. On the other hand, the diffuser can not be used with the cable as the diffuser only fits on the bottom 2/3 of the strobe. I have tried to attach both fittings on to the strobe, but one does not fit over the other, so it appears only one or the other can fit on to the strobe.

What have others who have a ys-90 and fiber optic cable done inorder to have a diffuser when working with the fiber optic cable?

Thanks for the assistance.

ejg62
hi how are you getting one with strobe as i have just recently got one [also didnt realise bout the diffuser and cap prob? but got that sorted thanks to this tread] any tips on using the strobe i have a canon s95

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom