A question on wings - Halcyon & OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectricZombie

Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone says that the Halcyon wings are very well made and good performers. Halcyon states that their wings will "fold" to help with streamlining. Can someone actually describe what is going on? How do they work?

I've also heard that the OMS non-bungee wings are nice too. How do they compare to the Halcyon in build and function? Is the streamlining any better or worse? I can get my keyman discount on the OMS, but not on the Halcyon.

By the way, I own a Scubapro X-Tec cell that has one long bungee around the perimiter of the wing. I've been diving with this bungee wing for about 2 years. Today I decided to test out the wing without the bungee. I think I actually like it better. I don't know about the streamlining but, it inflated easier and didn't trap air to one side on the surface. Deflating was maybe a tad slower though. I thought that not having the bungees would cause the air to shirt around underwater, and roll me...it was a non issue. I will test the wing with and without the bungee again on Saturday to verify the results.

I'm very glad I found this board.

I can not naswer for the build quality of the OMS, as I have never dealt with them. I cna however state how happy I am with my Halcyon 55lb wings. They work great. As for the "folding" you asked about, it is when the wings wrap up around the sides of the tanks. They lay almost flat against the sides of the tank, decreasing your profile and causing less drag. Almost any non bungeed wing will do this however.

The bladder in the OMS wing is clear plastic; the one in the Halcyon is a coated fabric life raft material that is more robust. The OMS comes with an inflator hose that I think is too long. I don't remember if it has an elbow or pull dump. I would also check on which inflator valve they put on it; OMS likes high flow valves that I don't like.

The shape of the OMS wing is similar to that of the Halcyon and the Dive Rite Classic, so it probably dives about the same. It would be ok for me if I line it with an innertube (like cavers do with the Dive Rite), change the inflator hose, and take the knob off the bottom dump.

It is made of virgin urethane, not plastic, and is very difficult to puncture, especially when layered behind urethane lined Cordura as it is in the OMS wings. This was demonstrated to me by an OMS sales rep who let me take a key (the sharp end) and try and push it through some of the material. I was unable to puncture the material, though with enough pushing I was able to create a dimple.

OMS wings come with elbows on the inflator hose, not dump valves. The inflator hoses are too long for my liking as well, but OMS does sell a shorter version. Also, the valve flow rates on the OMS are not very high - I would like for them to be faster myself.

is very difficult to puncture, especially when layered behind urethane lined Cordura as it is in the OMS wings.

I have to disagree with this. I used them for about six months. After just a few dives the dump valve was sticking and had to be replaced. Then after using them for a few more months I had to end a dive when the wings wouldn’t hold air. They had a quarter inch slit in the bladder. After I patched that I discovered several more pinholes in the bladder.

I've never had a problem with my Dive Rite or Halcyon wings.

Hi

do you have by any chance a pic of your OMS Bladder? I would be very thankfull. Thanks

Xerxes

Hi
"They had a quarter inch slit in the bladder. After I patched that I discovered several more pinholes in the bladder. "

Can you take pics of these baldders and wings? I am interested in these parts.
Thanks , Xerxes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom