Customizing Your Bcd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ERIC.K

Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased my first BCD this week! I bought a Seaquest PRO QD+. I've always heard good things about them and my research proved that except for one thing, The weight system. I dive mostly warm waters with occasional dives here in Ohio in a few Rock quarries. I wear 16 lbs in saltwater and about 24 pounds wearing a 7mm wet suit and wondering if anyone has had problems with weights falling out? In Saltwater I plan to have each pocket filled with 4lbs each. Thats half of the max weight for each ditchable weight pocket! If the QD cannot hold that weight without accidental ditching it should be taken of the market. In cold quarry water I plan to have 7 pounds in each paocket of ditchable weight and 5 in each of the trim pockets! My question, I had halfway thought about going to my local "sew-anything" store and add a quick release buckle to the weight pocket flaps between the silver striping on the QD. it would resemble the same type of system now used on the Scubapro Glide plus, only drawback is when I try to make things better I only make them worse and cannot live with the changes! I dive only with my wife and in a Emergency situation my wife would know how to dump the weight, It Kinda makes the weight dumpage a two step procedure but if you have seen Scubapros new Glideplus and its weight system no matter how hard you try it is a two-step releases as well! Don't let Scubapro fool you

I started out with a SeaQuest QD and know several people that use the Pro QD. One uses 10# in each pocket in the winter with no problems. The WI pockets are very reliable. Make sure you secure the pockets properly and 'mash' down on the velcro to make sure it makes contact completely.

I've been diving with a ProQD+ for a few months and never had a problem with the weight pockets falling out. I dive the temperate waters of SoCal in a 7mm wetsuit with 20lbs of lead (of which 16 are in the 2 front weight pockets).

As long as you keep sand out of the velcro you should be OK. If your BC fits you correctly, the weight pockets shouldn't be pulling on the velcro fasteners at all.

IMHO, you should not add the plastic quick release buckle for two reasons:
1) Even though you may only dive with your wife, there is no guarantee that she will be the one to rescue you in an emergency situation. Your BC modification may complicate the rescue process.
2) You appear to be a safety conscious diver. Do you feel comfortable with someone sticking a needle in your BC? I know I wouldn't be.

My 2 cents...

Dive safe.

I have a QD that I've used for about 50 dives. I used 10 lbs in each ditchable pocket for almost all of these dives and never had a problem with them falling out or even becoming loose.

Caveat -- I have always taken special care cleaning the velcro and marking sure they were securely fashioned before entering the water.

I dive the balance (same IW system) I have used it for 2 years with no problems.

Good luck.

Chad

I use a SQ Balance and have dove many times with 10 lbs. in the front pockets. No problem.

I have a Pro as well.

I have used it many times in my drysut with the full 30 lbs installed + a 2 lb shot bag in each side pocket....

Only time I ever had a weight dump out accidentaly was while diving in Florida. After squeezing through several small openings on a shallow wreck, I must have scraped the velcro flap loose. I only had 4 lbs in the pocket at the time so it didn't cause a big bouyancy problem for me. Just finned down, grabbed it and stuck it back in.

Back
Top Bottom