Wreck Penetration Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I noticed that TDI has an Advanced Wreck Diving course that appears to be focused around wreck penetration and other things. I talked to my LDS about it, and if he had any plans of getting certified to teach it, or if he knew anyone around that taught it, and he pointed me to the PADI [DSAT] courses.

We looked at the TDI Advanced Wreck Diving course, and he commented that what he's heard about the DSAT wreck course (that is forthcoming) made for a better and more technical course.

So my questions are. I know the TDI Advanced Wreck Diving course is new, and the DSAT isn't even completed development yet. does anyone know anything about these two courses, or can throw out any other options for wreck penetration training?

most folks take cave courses for penetration training. Yea, there's a lot of differences but more similarities. I trained myself through progressive experience but I highly recommend real training if you can get it.

Tom

Send a private message to "ronbo" on this board. He is a good friend and a very accomplished TDI instructor. He should be able to answer your questions from an instructor view point.

The other way is to call TDI themselves. Though I haven't had the need to call myself, Ronbo has informed me that they are very friendly and more than willing to answer inquiries into what their classes are all about. They may also be able to provide a few names and contact info of instructors in your area for you to interview.

I did my wreck training through NAUI. My understanding is that the course director/ Instructor puts together his own course and then gets it approved by NAUI. The guy I took the course from was a pretty experianced NE wreck diver who also has done something like 15 trips to Truk, so our class was geared to diving up here with a lot of Truk video. The classroom was mostly how to get info on wrecks, basic ship layout, types of gear and different configurations, how to use a penitration reel and a lift bag/ Jersey Reel, how not to silt out a wreck, etc. . On our dives both at the Quarry and in the ocean we practiced what we were tought in class and did some easy penitrations.

BTW, since we were discussing the Seeker on another tread I went to their web page and saw that Captain Dan Crowell is a TDI instructor and teaches Advanced Wreck. I bet there are a few interesting stories in that class.

Ty

WreckWriter... thanks for the Cave diving comment, it actually filed away in my brain probably differently than you intended. While I wouldn't consider Cave training a replacement for wreck penetration training, and [obviously] wreck penetration training isn't a replacement for cave training, they could definately complement each other quite nicely.

I've checked with one of the two LDSs that do TDI locally, but the mention of Ronbo reminded me that I have another TDI instructor contact that I can check with as well.

The Seeker could definately be a cool possibliity, as NY isn't _that_ far away. I'll have to keep it in mind. I'll get my first taste of NY wrecks in a few weeks, so it might be a good excuse to get myself down there again.

teaches a lot of useful things like equipment redundancy, anti-silting techniques, line techniques, low visibility navigation techniques, etc. No, it's not a substitute, it's complimentary.

Standard "wreck specialty" courses are useless for what you're looking for.

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter
teaches a lot of useful things like equipment redundancy, anti-silting techniques, line techniques, low visibility navigation techniques, etc. No, it's not a substitute, it's complimentary.

Standard "wreck specialty" courses are useless for what you're looking for.

Tom

Tom

What cave diving course would you recommend? I agree that they would be very complimentray however I have no real interest in diving in a cave. I've tried to learn as much as I could about equipment redundancy, line techniques etc and incorporate it into my diving in addition to what I have learned up here from experianced NE wreckers. I've already done a wreck specialty course and for my next training I was going to look into mixed gases to be able to do the deeper dives.

Thanks
Ty

Ty,

It sounds like you and I have similar desires. To be able to dive shipwrecks, poke aound inside, and have bottom times long enough to make the journey to the wreck worth it.

My current path of training has been/will be:

Completed
TDI Nitrox
SDI Drysuit
SDI Wreck (the recreational specialty)
TDI Adv.Nitrox/Deco Procedures

To be taken
TDI Advanced Wreck
TDI Tri-Mix
Cavern
Cave (at least through Cave 1)

I've also been fortunate enough to link up with an instructor who is not only an exceptional diver in these disciplines, but an excellent teacher.

Originally posted by tchil01

Tom

What cave diving course would you recommend?I've already done a wreck specialty course and for my next training I was going to look into mixed gases to be able to do the deeper dives.

Thanks
Ty

GUE for cave, TDI for mix.

Tom

I have been trying to take wreck diving in the LA area for a year now. I am NAUI/LACUIA/YMCA certified, & was intrigued by the possibility of a NAUI instructor tailor-making a class for local conditions. Does anyone know of this scenario in my area, or a reasonable facsimile?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom