Gulfstream Ledge - Capt Tony - Mini Report 11-15-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Finally went diving yesterday after a long dry month for me. My first time in the water post Wilma.

Here's my mini-recap of yesterday's highlights from Boynton Beach.

Captain Tony - Viz was about 20 - 25' (not so great for any regulars, but it was wet)... The water actually looked a little greener than usual too...
Water Temp was 78F by my computer. We saw a fair amount of fish, as usual on the Captain Tony a few large cudas, and the resident goliath grouper... Also shot some footage of a good sized green turtle... The only noticible difference post Wilma, is that there is about 2' more exposed hull on the starboard side of the wreck. Otherwise, this site did quite well during the storm.

Dive 2 was on the Gulfstream Ledges. Here again, the viz was about 20-25' (pretty poor for there) and the water temp was the same 78 degrees.

There was some noticible damage to many larger barrel sponges. Many were broken apart. We also came upon a debris field with a lot of broken Branched Finger Coral. Kev said that it's a resiliant form of coral, and very fragile.

Aside from the broken sponges, and a few moderate sized debris fields, the reef looked in good shape. There was the usual abundance of fish there, probably an average amount for that site... but we're spoiled by the amount of sea life we see there... There were 2 guys on the boat from Tennessee, who had never been in the ocean before. They were amazed by the quantity of fish there.

So all in all, I would give the day a thumbs up... But how can you not give a thumbs up to scubakevdm, and Lynn from Splashdown...

I'll have more pics posted on my gallery soon.

WOW... what a great plug for Splashdown (an excellent boat to ride with if I may add) and good report for how things are on that coast right now! Thanks for the good word, Howarde!

Hey sounds like a good set of dives! I will take viz like that,its got to clear up soon,and heck the water is warm for me!
Got snow today and 17 deg tonight=YUCK!
Brad

Yeah, Howard, real consistant with my report of two days earlier. That bone field of broken branching coral laying all over the finger coral was sort of spooky, wasn't it? And although a lot of the big barrels did break, I was a little bit suprised at the number of them that stayed intact.

Lynn is just about perfect running that boat, isn't she? And Kevin seems to be about as good as they come, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom