Oly TTL adapter questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK -- I KNOW that there a few of you out there using C5050's with Mathias's trigger and his special Oly TTL adapter. I'm wondering how you like the special Oly TTL adapter? I have one of his triggers (NOT the special TTL adapter that mounts on the hot shoe), and got it to work on my Sb105 TTL by setting it to fire on the second flash. So now I can use it in any mode as a TTL flash. Manual (fill flash) makes the most sense, but it does work in other modes. I'd rule out P and A mode as the shutter speeds are WAY too slow in low light. In S mode the aperture is wide open -- reducing DOF. As fill flash, the adapter works well TTL - except when the subject is closer than 2 feet or so - and then the picture is overexposed. OK I can turn the strobe down to 1/2 - 1/16 and that works. And I can set the 5050 internal flash to slave and trigger the Sb105 off either the adapter OR use the Sb105 slave mode. But those are all require manual adjustment of the external strobe output -- and it is a pain to reset the internal flash to normal (non-slave) function when the external strobe is not needed) .
Which is why I asked the original question -- does the Oly hot shoe adapter provide uniform results? Also -- does it really work in super macro mode?

TIA for any help!!!!!
Mark

howard4113:
OK -- I KNOW that there a few of you out there using C5050's with Mathias's trigger and his special Oly TTL adapter. I'm wondering how you like the special Oly TTL adapter? I have one of his triggers (NOT the special TTL adapter that mounts on the hot shoe), and got it to work on my Sb105 TTL by setting it to fire on the second flash. So now I can use it in any mode as a TTL flash. Manual (fill flash) makes the most sense, but it does work in other modes. I'd rule out P and A mode as the shutter speeds are WAY too slow in low light. In S mode the aperture is wide open -- reducing DOF. As fill flash, the adapter works well TTL - except when the subject is closer than 2 feet or so - and then the picture is overexposed. OK I can turn the strobe down to 1/2 - 1/16 and that works. And I can set the 5050 internal flash to slave and trigger the Sb105 off either the adapter OR use the Sb105 slave mode. But those are all require manual adjustment of the external strobe output -- and it is a pain to reset the internal flash to normal (non-slave) function when the external strobe is not needed) .
Which is why I asked the original question -- does the Oly hot shoe adapter provide uniform results? Also -- does it really work in super macro mode?

TIA for any help!!!!!
Mark

I can speak for it on the 5050, but I have his adapter that normall goes to the hotshoe.. I wired it to a cable and I plug it into the side of a c4000, and it becomes full TTL.. I have it controlling an sea and sea sb-350and it works from my close ups out to wide angle shots without any problems...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom