SeaLife DC500 5.0 MegaPixel Camera Pro Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minnow

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone used the SeaLife DC500 Camera Pro kit? I am thinking about getting it for my husband for Christmas. Was wondering about the sharpness of the pictures and also the quality of the video.

Thanks!

Minnow

Minnow:
Has anyone used the SeaLife DC500 Camera Pro kit? I am thinking about getting it for my husband for Christmas. Was wondering about the sharpness of the pictures and also the quality of the video.

Thanks!

Minnow

I've heard good reviews of it. I've got the one that came before it (the DC310)
and have been happy with it.

However, there are better cameras out there, but they start to go up in price big time once you buy the camera, housing, strobe, etc... expect to pay lots more. But if you want just a really nice point and shoot to capture fun pics from your dive vacation this is a great camera. But if he wants to get deep into photography
he'll want to upgrade most likely. But the Sealife works great for me. All the shots
in my gallery were taken with it.

Time Magazine just did a feature on it even.
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1129526-2,00.html

It's a good camera set for the price.
http://www.divesports.com/mall/sealife_sl155.asp

-mike

I have a DC500. I just purchased it about a month ago and took it to Hawaii and found it takes good pictures. I have the external flash but not the new digital flash. The flash worked very good but I just purchased the flash link and that helps the flash fire consistently no matter what position the flash head is pointing. I am an entry level U/W photographer and the camera is fine for me. I can not detect a shutter lag when that function is selected. Overall it is a good camera. Heads above the previous models. Just my two cents. I know there are probably better digital cameras, but for the money I think it is a good pick.

P.S. I would send you a sample but I lost the 1 gig card I had the photos on. So I do not have any pictures.

I just finished teaching an uw photo course where one student had the DSC 8MP camera and one student used the Canon A75 camera.

The DSC did a lovely job on wide angle (without any zoom) shot. Gave a lot of detail and the photos were pretty sharp. Where it fell down was whenever zoom was used (and there are reasons to use zoom underwater) and on the closer macro stuff.

The flash was terrible. Nearly identical shots using the onboard flash would have ten times the backscatter as those shot with the Canon. It must be the positioning of the flash on the unit. An external strobe will help this considerably.

I did not find the camera particularly user friendly/intuitive. It took us a while to find how to control everything (of course she didn't have the manual). Once we did it ok bar having to hold one button down while turning a dial to change a setting - that was a little frustrating, but not uncommon - my Olympus 5050 has the same deal.

All in all it's an ok unit. I wouldn't recommend it as I still believe getting a dedicated digital and then the manufacturer's housing is the way to go. But if you think the price looks good and that the results will make your hubby happy then go for it! One nice thing about this hobby is that there is likely a system out there to suit each person and what suits me may not suit the next person.

Have fun shopping!

The SeaLife Reefmaster DC510, and the 8mp DSC are completely different cameras.

The question was directed towards the Sealife Camera, of which I have one. Although it is the DC310, the camera has performed flawlessly. I intend to upgrade to the DC510 next year.

For an entry to mid level photographer, it is a very good choice. Just as long as you purchase it with the external flash. That's very important!

Thanks for all the info About the DC 500 Camera Pro Kit! I had tried to check around but couldn't find any substantial info to base a buying decision.

We were using a very cheap 35 mm camera in cheap housing (I think the camera and housing was only $50.00!!). Our recent photos did not come out at all (which was a real disappointment). My husband is a beginning photographer so it sounds like this might just be the camera for him.

Minnow

Minnow:
Thanks for all the info About the DC 500 Camera Pro Kit! I had tried to check around but couldn't find any substantial info to base a buying decision.

We were using a very cheap 35 mm camera in cheap housing (I think the camera and housing was only $50.00!!). Our recent photos did not come out at all (which was a real disappointment). My husband is a beginning photographer so it sounds like this might just be the camera for him.

Minnow

I had a 35mm Reefmaster before I went digital. The digital takes much better pics.
Of course some of that could be in the developing of the film version. Walmart
just doesn't know how to set the color right for underwater photos. I guess you
can take them elsewhere, but it starts getting even more expensive.
I'd guess a roll of film is easily $4 bucks. getting 36 exposures developed
on 4x6 double prints can run you $6 bucks. So about $10 bucks per roll.
Do 10 rolls on a weeklong dive trip and you're spending $100 just for photos.

The digital lets you take as many or as little as you want and you can preview
them on the LCD screen or on your laptop later. You simply delete the ones
you didn't want. The other great thing is that I can look at the pics while
I'm on the trip. I'm much happier with the digital.

I would highly suggest checking out the new Sea & Sea DX750G camera. Its a 5mp interpolated to a 7.1mp. The pictures I have taken so far (testing it out) are great. I think it is going to be a much better choice than the DC500 and it is the same price $499 retail. It is also available in a package with the Sea & Sea YS15 strobe and arm set for $749 retail.

I did some checking around. I was told that the accessories for the Sea & Sea were quite a bit more expensive than for SeaLife. Have you found that to be the case?

Back
Top Bottom