cummerbund extension

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anybody know what the minimum cummerbund overlap should be before someone needs a extension?? I needed a extension when I bought my BC but I've since lost about 30 LBS and I can get the cummerbund to overlap about 4" comfortably without the extension. Do I still need it?? Also losing 30 Lbs. how much weight can I get rid of?? Also I'll be adding a 3mm full hyperstrech suit to the mix how much do I add back to counteract the bouyancy?
Thanks, Ed:06:

4" should be plenty.

The weight you can remove is something you will need to work out by yourself. A little trial and error should get you dialed in within a few minutes!!!

Congrats on the weight loss!! I wish I could drop a little...haha

Scott

es601:
Also losing 30 Lbs. how much weight can I get rid of?? Also I'll be adding a 3mm full hyperstrech suit to the mix how much do I add back to counteract the bouyancy?
Thanks, Ed:06:

As far as I can figure, the specific density of fat is about .9 so you'll be able to get rid of about a pound of lead for every 10 lbs. of fat you lose.

I hate cummerbunds, back in the days I used jacket syle bc, I replaced the cummerbund with a weight belt (without the weights) and a buckle, it allways stayed secured and I still got the webbing for any other thing I may invent.

The main problem was that the velcro of the cummerbund kept opening and I found myself many times with the bc loose, once the cummerbund was replaced, this problem went away.

Also you may want to add a crotch strap to keep the bc down, I did it a few months before switching to BP and it made an improovement in comfort with the bc in the way that it won't ride up while at the surface and while diving the bc stayed in place.

Since the jacket syle bc has to be loose for allowing the bladder to inflate, it tends to move around a bit when using it.

neil:
As far as I can figure, the specific density of fat is about .9 so you'll be able to get rid of about a pound of lead for every 10 lbs. of fat you lose.
Unless you also get a smaller wetsuit to go along with your smaller self, in which case you'll be getting rid of some bouyant neoprene in addition to the bouyant body fat.

Thanks I was thinking about the same thing,why not 1 more strap and buckle like the chest strap?

What I did, was that I eliminated the cummerbund and store it. When I switched bcs, I installed it back on the bc in case I sell it, so the weight belt stayed in my arsenal.

Remove the cummerbund and thread a weight belt using the same route that the cummerbund used, with the weight belt and buckle, it's very easy to add a crotch strap if you decide to do so

I like a cummerbund, and as long as it has a buckle clip over it, 4" should be fine. If it is a velcro only wasit attachment, 6" would be better, and relaxed... not with a big suck it in before attaching it.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom