Surprise dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey!
I got to work this morning to find a big surprise... Vicky Eric and Lee were at the shop, and they were coming diving! I haven't been on the Castor for a few months, and was curious to see the effects of the hurricane, so we decided to check it out. The Castor, for those of you who don't know is our deepest recreational wreck, resting in 113'. She is also our largest wreck, a 268' freighter. So we loaded up the boat and away we went.
Seas were pretty flat to start out, but built later on to 2-4'. The vis opened up to about 60' or so (blue water with large particles) at the bottom after you dropped below a layer of silty water at 35'. The current was fairly mild and to the north. Rumor had it that the wreck had been torn in two by the storm, and I could hardly wait to get down and assess the damage. The half dozen goliath grouper were still there, still seeming annoyed with me for invading their spot. There were packs of marauding large yellow jacks zooming around the periphery picking off the unfortunate strays.
As I moved forward of the superstructure, something didn't look quite right... the starboard side of the cargo bay was peeled away, laying in the sand just outside the wreck. A bit more forward, a 70' section undulated in the current. It was creepy. I don't think that particular piece will remain attached for much longer. The hull was broken all the way through except for about a four foot section at the front. As the giant slab of steel swept back and forth, it emitted sharp popping sounds as the cracking spread. I sure don't want to be behind that thing when it lets loose. It was very cool to see though.
We had so much fun on that wreck, we decided to do another one, so we packed up the hook and moved over to the Captain Tony. Conditions were about the same over there, maybe 5 feet less on the vis. It was fun!
Here's us before we left.

That sounds cool... I can't wait to see it!

Were there any fruit bats there?

CBulla:
Woah, look at the goosebumps yawl have from the chilly air this AM!

Sounds like a very enjoyable set of dives! :)

That's no goosebump! That's my head! Oh, wait I see. I'll censor the photo voluntarily so as not to cause trouble, and to prove that my reputation as being an unsavory poster is entirely undeserved.

Well that goes to again prove that if you want to be the first to post a trip report you better be on the ball! Scubaboardians love to share with others.

This trip was done with very little planning. It was a matter of Lee sending me a PM that stated he was free for diving Wed or Thursday. I looked at my Calendar and called Vickie for advice as to what would be the best site considering recent weather conditions.

I called http://splashdowndivers.com and Captain Lynn answered from the bridge of the dive boat. Talk about up to the date dive condition reports! She reported 50' vis 78 degree water temps and flat seas. I booked the dives and prepped my gear.

The boat had plenty of room and I remembered why winter diving on the weekday's was so much fun. I dreamed of moray's and tropical fishes.

Kevin summed up the dives very well. The Castor with it's weaving Starboard side was a sight for sure. When we first descended to the wreck I heard the loud "TwanG" of a spear gun. I heard it again and motioned to Vickie. With her exception skills of always understanding my charades she and I begin to look for the diver shooting spears like he has playing "Call to Duty, the Big Red One." A shrug of the shoulders and we figured if we can not see him in 50' of vis there was little to worry about. I was still perplexed as I did not see a speargun come on the boat and I am observant to that sort of thing.

Then as we swam along I saw the side of the ship move. For a second I thought "That was wierd I normally am not that Narced this shallow." Then I saw it move again and the loud TWANG rang again. I noticed that the metal sides are making contact and the twang is the tremendous stress caused by this unknown tonnage catching and releasing on itself. I pointed it out to Vickie and we cautiously swam to the port side which I am sure had better stuff on it anyway (sour grapes).

We saw the BEHEmouth gropers swimming around and several barracuda.

The ascent was textbook and back onboard I was looking forward to the reef dive to follow. Kevin took a headcount then a vote. To my Gleeful delight I learned that Captain Lynn, in the bold deifance of the outrageous cost of fuel, was going to motor to another Wreck! This was bliss and we all setup on our next tank. It was great to see everyone was all smiles and satisfaction.

On the Captian Tony there was another great dive to wash away all the crap we face in our day to day lives of work, hurricanes and budgets.

After a careful search into many holes and hiding places I finally found what I was looking for, a Green Moray. I never really was keen to watching these guys and seeing them was just another event. I got introduced to BAby by his biggest fan and now I look for them and in finding one feel that I have reached my dive goal on that trip.

Over lunch it was decided to form a group of Tuesday/ Thursday dive buddies. My scheledule is odd to say the least but I normally have a Tuesday or Thursday off.

My next planned weekday dive is Thursday Dec 1st. I believe it will again be on Splashdown since I had an Awesome TWO dives and expert handling by the crew.\

Keep a watch on ScubaBoard trips and the Conch Calender for details on these mid week dives! Call in sick and take some time off to mend your soul!

Pictures? Anyone.

I'll bring the underwater BBQ

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom