BP/W weight solution advice for us skinny guys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubautah

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting set up with a BP/W and could use some suggestions for how to deal with weights. I am thin and do not have much waist belt webbing for weight pockets. If there's anyone out there with advice on workable solutions I'd greatly appreciate them.

Thanks,
Tom

Scubautah,
If your diving in your neck of the woods then you are probably diving drysuit or 7mm.
If you dive single tanks go with a backplate that can mount a single tank adapter or STA as they are known to BPW'ers. That puts about an extra 5lbs on the backplate so you don't need near as much weight. Thin guys don't usually need to much weight. I use of couple of the xs scuba pouches on my belt that will each hold up to 5lbs. If you dive doubles you could look at a keel weight. Hope this helps.

As Caver95 said, you might not need additional weight. If you would need them, might place the weight in pockets on the upper or lower cam strap depending on whether you need to make weight distributions or not.

McDonalds can help you out, one Big Mac a day, super size it. I'm coming to SLC (Skyline) in Dec 1-5 for some KiteSnowBoarding, any snow there yet?

I dive a Halcyon BPW with the SS BP. With a 7mm full suit, I wear 6 lbs FW, 8 lbs SW. I weigh 205 lbs, that said, I can't imagine that you will need too much wt. If you do, a couple of 3 pounders on a weight belt wont take up any room at all, even on a skinny body!

ShakaZulu,

Wish a few quarter pounders would add some weight. Everybody always told me it would catch up with me when I turned 30-something, then 40-something. Well, it hasn't. I still weigh what I did in high school and it's not from lack of eating.

As for snow here in SLC, there's not been any here down in the valley but up in the mountains there's been some. Not to good for skiing/boarding yet though. That can change very fast though.

Tom

Quaff King,

For some of the diving here a 7mm suit would hard boil a diver. Homestead Crater is pretty much 96F year round. There I sink like a rock with my BPW setup. There's plenty of cold water also. For those situations I do need an exposure suit and that means a little weight, maybe 8 or 10 lbs max.

There's no rule that says you have to put weight pockets on the waist belt. A good 'o' weight belt works pretty well, especially if you only need a few lbs.

Tobin

Depending on how much weight you normally carry and what BP you chose, you may not actually need to carry any additional (ditchable) weight at all. SS backplates are typically about 5 - 6 lbs negative, alu plates around 2 lbs. If you still need to carry additional weight, and are comfortable diving without ditchable weight, you could either use a weighted single tank adapter (assuming that you do dive singles), or you could use a channel weight or V weights. You could also install trim pockets on your tank straps that will accommodate standard hard or soft weights. If you are not comfortable diving without ditchable weight, there are still a number of options that you can pursue. One of them would be to simply carry a weight belt as you probably do now or you could purchase weight pockets that would be installed on your waist belt (although that may prevent you from installing either a canister light and/or additional utility pockets on your waist belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom