Dive Rite...STA v. Cam Bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have experience with the single tank adapter and the cam bands???? Which one is better... Im a frequent cold water diver in monterey.

Jordan

Not sure exactly what the question is but I do have a heavy 6# STA (not made by DR) and a Dive Rite BP/W w/ DR cam bands and I only use the STA when diving cold and the extra weight is needed. I feel no more stability with the STA than without. If you feel unstable without a STA then you may need to sinch the cam bands tighter. Also, cam bands are needed and a STA isn't always needed so that makes cam bands "better." What you were looking for? Good luck!

I use the STA although you get a little tighter fit and streamline the rig just a little more when you thread the bands directly to the plate itself. If you only dive singles and never change tank diameters, you can skip the STA and just thread the bands through the plate.
I use my plate with doubles, 8" singles, and 7.25" singles, and two different wings, so the STA saves me a lot of aggravation.

I use a stainless steel Hammerheadscuba.com STA with a Dive Rite BP/W. I bought it more for the weight than the stability. I only use 6lbs of lead on my belt with a drysuit in this configuration. The Dive Rite STA is plastic and costs as much as the stainless steel hammerhead version, without the benefit of additional weight cold water divers tend to need.

Jordan,
I saw the dive rite sta at a shop and its not very beefy. While I'm sure it does a great job of securing the tank I don't think its going to help you much from a weight perspective. THe Hammerhead Sta is a Solid CHunk of Stainless. I think it weights about 5lbs. It works very nice for getting the weight off your belt, when your diving in cold water. I always use it with my dry suit. In my opinion the extra 1/2" the sta holds the tank off does not affect streamling in any significant way. I think somebody came out with that low profile spiel as a marketing tool .
Dive Safe!

I have dove both and IMHO the cam bands that run through the backplate are much better.....as you dive cold look at getting a SS backplate from [deepseasupply and a set of the wedges that go in the bp to prevent band movement...his plates have the ability to bolt on weight to get some off your hips...
Yarg

i have the sta from dive rite and i use it because its easyer to change tank quickly. and taking our set up apart for drying after a dive is realy nice. comme apart easly.
i hook weights to my to get some extra weight for my cold water dry suit diving.

Im diggin on the STA, Can't think of any logical reason not to use it. The whole streamlining thing is over played, and the death grip hold on the tank is worth lots to me.

Just got a diveirte plate and wing. Works fine without the STA. Had a gnarly walk and a bit of a scramble through loose rocks first time I used one. Tank didn't budge a bit in or out of the water with just the bands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom