Gusset Cord vs No Gusset Cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Gusset Cord vs No Gusset Cord... What does everyone think. I dive with the dive rite trek wing with ss backplate. Diverite says to use the gusset cord to eliminate tank wrap, but many people have told me that the gusset cord can cause the wing to squeeze itself to hard, and possibly creat a leak.

Anyone know if the gusset cord is worth all of the fuss?

Jordan

Why don't you just get a wing that doesn't need the bungee cord in the first place? :)

Jorbar1551:
... but many people have told me that the gusset cord can cause the wing to squeeze itself to hard, and possibly creat a leak.

There is no fuss at all and all that is a myth that a "certain" group made up without factual evidence.

If you want, get the wings with the rectracors if not then don't - it's that simple.

Jorbar1551:
Gusset Cord vs No Gusset Cord... What does everyone think. I dive with the dive rite trek wing with ss backplate. Diverite says to use the gusset cord to eliminate tank wrap, but many people have told me that the gusset cord can cause the wing to squeeze itself to hard, and possibly creat a leak.

Jordan

I got the cord on my Diverite and no problems!!!!!!

Jorbar1551:

Jordan

The trek wing chord is very loose and as a consequence is very unlikely to squeeze unless the bladder is well past half full, and even then only a small amount. Additionally, the gusset chord does not pose as a snag hazard until the bladder is well past half full (it is on the protected side of the bladder until the bladder is filled). I have not needed to dive with a bladder with that much air in it, so the chord would not pose as a hazard in my usage patterns. Should those patterns change, and I were to need more lift, I would consider removing the gusset as it would provide little benefit and would become a snag hazard worthy of consideration. Until then, it does improve streamlining.

I believe that optimally the correct sized bladder would not need a gusset, but the trek wing is capable of mitigating its size for times when that much lift (45#) is not needed. I always dive with my OxyCheq donut with singles because I like the smaller footprint (30#), but it won't work with my doubles, and the trek wing stays pretty compact considering it is 45# (I try to stay very light to keep the bubble size to a minimum).

I really like my OxyCheg signature series 30# donut, but I am not near as pationate about the trek wing, although I have absolutely no problems with it in use with the gusset chord attached.

Jorbar1551,

Since you already have the Trek Wing, you could consider adding the Dive Rite Sidemounting Accessory Kit BC2725 to reduce 'wing wrap' for this design, as an alternative to buying a different wing. It's pricey at US$75 at Dive Rite Express, but it would be hard to purchase a different wing for that price.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/transpac.shtml

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/manuals/sidemount.pdf

My wife's rig that I found pre-owned came with the predecessor Jr. Wing and this kit already installed. It helps hold the corners down during single tank use, nothing needs removed for double tank use, and you can also sidemount as the purpose of the kit is to reduce wing wrap when zero tanks are back mounted.

The Jr. Wing doesn't have a gusset cord, and we haven't seen any need to add one.

I didn't look through the 200+ other replies in the link posted to see if this alternative was duplicated there; I took Roakey's post at face value. If this alternative was duplicated there, ignore this duplicate posting.

Here's a link to an earlier thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=97153

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom