DR Venture Wing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi.

I notice that the Venture Wing pictured on the Dive Rite Express Web site has the lower dump valve on the outside, whereas the Venture Wing pictured on the Dive Rite Web site has the lower dump valve on the inside. (It also happens to be the case that the Venture Wing on the Dive Rite Web site has red lettering, whereas the one on the Dive Rite Express Web site has white lettering.) Has Dive Rite changed the design of the new Venture Wing? If so, does anyone know why? I thought locating the lower dump valve on the outside--with a loop to guide the pull cord towards the inside--made great sense. And I do not understand why this valve should ever be on the inside, where burping air requires tipping your body sideways (unless it is thought that it might clink on the tank or something and break).

Thanks.

Mahjong

Yes!! This is a disturbing aspect of the venture wing, especially since it has no compensation, such as a gusset cord, to lessen tendency for "tank wrap" pocketing air where it can't be dumped by the BC hose! I just discovered that! The owner's manual pictures a different configuration than the one I got! The manual has it outside, where it should be.

I can't imagine a wing as small as the venture wing tacoing to the point at which you could not use the BC hose; I have the travel wing which I believe is only slightly smaller. My lower dump valve is on the outside of the wing, i.e. top surface in normal horizontal position and I'm not sure why so many of the more technical wings put the dump on the other side. It might have to do with larger wings curving up around the tank which would then expose the dump valve, rather than having it "trapped" betwen the tank and wing. But I'm pretty sure that with these tiny wings this is not an issue.

The travel wing comensates for the tendency for tank wrap by having the elastic exterior, I understand from reading the owners manual. Other DR wings have a gusset cord. The Venture has neither.

I just think my LDS must have sold me an old model Venture or one that was a manufacturing defect; because the picture in the manual, and online pix, all show the dump valve on the outside of the venture.

I just drove to the shop, actually, to find it closed and I am posting this from the parking lot! hahaha. This is something I want to rectify promptly!

I had the venture wing and mine was on the tank side of the wing. i never had problems with dumpping air but for 27lbs its sure not even that its like 20lbs in true life.
so i sold it and went to a larger wing with 45lbs and im glad i did

OK: Spoke to my local dive shop [LDS] rep, and learned that the discrepancy is due to change in design by Dive Rite. The newer model has the dump valve on the front or bottom side, not on the tank side, of the wing.

It seems that many exerienced divers remove the knob on the pull cord for the valve, feeling it is an entanglement hazard. The bare string is harder to find when it is on top, and--perhaps--pushed toward the tank as well.

As far as dumping air, I was told--and is sure makes sense--that the water pressure itself will push the air out of the bottom side valve even though it is not the lowest point.

Finally, although the design has changed, Dive Rite has not supplied dealers with new graphics: a google image search turns up almost exclusively the old design.

Aucilla:
As far as dumping air, I was told--and is sure makes sense--that the water pressure itself will push the air out of the bottom side valve even though it is not the lowest point.

Maybe I'm not following you but if the release valve is not situated in the pocket of air to be released either by it's location or your position in the water it will not release air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom