Need advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTwo

Reaction score
I am very unhappy with my current jacket bcd. I have been reading past posts all day and visiting websites recommended on those posts all day. So much good information I have confused myself even more lol. The single tank dive rig from Deep sea supply caught my eye as did the Dive Rite transpac. Was also looking at stuff on the Oxycheq site. I have never used anything other then my jacket so Im in the dark about these products except for the good things I have heard. I will give you my dive info and mabe you more experienced divers can shed some light for me?

ow, single tank, rec diving.
I dive wet, dry, skin, fresh and salt water.
Tend to use alot of weight. 28lbs-drysuit-fresh water, 14lbs-3mil-fresh water
I think I could benefit from a ss back plate but am afraid of the weight for travel.

Does anyone know if you can use weight pouches with the deep sea supply rigs or can you use them with any harness system? Like I said I know nothing about bp/w so your patience and any help you can give me is much appreciated :)

All I can really tell you is that for my own part, I was never a particularly comfy diver until I got into my first backplate, several years ago. The thing actually made the sport fun again.

doole:
All I can really tell you is that for my own part, I was never a particularly comfy diver until I got into my first backplate, several years ago. The thing actually made the sport fun again.

Yes I have heard that so often. Im ready to give it a try I just dont know were to begin. I always enjoy diving but struggling with that monster jacket takes up more of my "fun" time then it should.

I should have come up with a much more unique topic lol. Mabe would have got some more input. :/

I own the Transpac and love it. I was torn between going for it and going for a steel BP/W. In the end I decided that for the recreational diving I was doing I didn't want the BP/W setup. I should point out that many do dive a BP/W setup for rec dives and it should be fine.

I ended up attaching some Dive Rite trim weights to the back of the Transpac to move some weight to the back. I'm very happy with the Transpac system. It's easy to don and doff, it leaves you with a simple and minimal harness (though not as much as a BP/W would), and it gives you the flexibility to attach different wings and to dive singles or doubles. There's a post by Rick Murchison in this thread that went a long way towards making me comfortable with my Transpac decision. Transpac and BP/W have been debated many times. If you search through the forums you'll find quite a bit of additional information.

Jason

ScubaTwo:
I should have come up with a much more unique topic lol. Mabe would have got some more input. :/

No kidding, I was shocked that everyone wasn't jumping on the thread to debate the BP/W setup!

KzooJason:
I own the Transpac and love it. I was torn between going for it and going for a steel BP/W. In the end I decided that for the recreational diving I was doing I didn't want the BP/W setup. I should point out that many do dive a BP/W setup for rec dives and it should be fine.

I ended up attaching some Dive Rite trim weights to the back of the Transpac to move some weight to the back. I'm very happy with the Transpac system. It's easy to don and doff, it leaves you with a simple and minimal harness (though not as much as a BP/W would), and it gives you the flexibility to attach different wings and to dive singles or doubles. There's a post by Rick Murchison in this thread that went a long way towards making me comfortable with my Transpac decision. Transpac and BP/W have been debated many times. If you search through the forums you'll find quite a bit of additional information.

Jason

Oh my. I have searched and searched and searched. Thats the problem. I searched my way into not being able to decide lol. A quesion about the transpac..can it go from a 3 mil to a dry suit in fit? BTW, Ty for your input. I have a DUI weight harness system but sometimes I just wanna throw them weights in a pocket. I like the transpac weight pockets, hence why I was asking if any harness will eccept weight pockets (such as the rigs on the deep diver supply site). So much to learn!

I was looking at this http://www.deepseasupply.com/page12.html (hope that works) but had my original questions about a ss back plate and if it would accomadate weight pouches. I dont like always wearing my weight harness. I have saved and saved and am ready to purchase! lol

were is mikeferrara when I need him!!!

ScubaTwo:
Oh my. I have searched and searched and searched. Thats the problem. I searched my way into not being able to decide lol. A quesion about the transpac..can it go from a 3 mil to a dry suit in fit? BTW, Ty for your input. I have a DUI weight harness system but sometimes I just wanna throw them weights in a pocket. I like the transpac weight pockets, hence why I was asking if any harness will eccept weight pockets (such as the rigs on the deep diver supply site). So much to learn!

Going between a 3mil and a drysuit shouldn't be a problem. The Transpac is very adjustable and I can't imagine you'd have any problems on that score.

Personally I use the Transweight 16 system instead of the 32 just based on the size of the pockets. The trim weights I attached to the back of the Transpac mean that I won't need more than 16 pounds even if I'm diving quite a bit of neoprene and an AL80. The Transweight system is really nothing more than a set of pockets within pockets which you thread 2 inch webbing through. I imagine you could use the system on any 2 inch webbing harness provided you put keepers on the webbing to prevent it from sliding all over the place.

Jason

Back
Top Bottom