oms/dive rite..need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting into diving wings and I was hoping some of you folks in here could steer me in the best direction.
I have heard good things about both oms and dive rite, I would like some recommendations and insight from those who know better, so I can make a better informed decision, and please no fighting.:D

This has got to be bait. Why would anybody step into this on purpose ? Just do a search and you'll hear all of the same old stuff again, again, again. Or just wait for UP to step up and break your arm.

Need to move this topic out of BC's and into a world of it's own.

driven off, don O

If you like a soft BCDs and want a wing, I would recommend the DiveRite Transpac II with Recwings. I have dived with one and enjoyed it plenty. I am however selling it now since I am getting a back plate with halcyon wings instead. This currently fits my needs better.

Otherwise the Dive Rite BCD is very "clean" and comfortable.

Sincerely

Anders :)

Sorry I asked. I usually dont post in this forum until now when I needed advice, but I didn't know there had been some kinda of war over these 2 makes, I guess I will leave the war zone..Thanks anyway.:(

P.S anyone who still wants to offer their opinion ( even biased) can pm me on their thoughts and experience with either one of these brands that way their is no open argument,( just the one in my head):D

as to responses, I think you deserve more than you've got.

so I think I can post without rekindling the war.

Some people do not like the OMS wings because of the bungies, they feel it is a safety issue. I believe OMS also offers wings without the bungie. Or it could be removed.
Some do not like the Dive-Rite, it has a bungie cord, but it is around the outside of the wing to help control the shape and size of the aircell, it is adjustable/removeable.
Some only like Halcyon.

I only have experience with Dive-Rite . I have a Trans-pac II with Rec wings. I really like it. However this year diving with a drysuit I wanted to get some weight off my belt. I bought a Fred T heavy plate, heavy STA and Fred's harness kit. I put my Rec wings on it. I also bought a pair of the Halcyon tankstraps with the Stainless Steel Buckles. I somehow broke a plastic (delrin?) buckle, and didn't want that happening again. I dive with Steel Tanks. Someday I plan on doubles. The rec wings will work for singles and doubles. I like both systems.

Definately do some searches.
Dive-rite's website may help a lot too.

Good luck, let me know what you decide.

Fixed some small things and mispellings --TM

as to responses, I think you deserve more than you've got.[/B]

thanks Tavi for your info. I was at one of the lds and one of the sales dudes there were trying to sell me a dive rite wing, I do like both. My buddy uses oms, but I am thinking of getting Dive rite.
He had the rec wings like you have and and a couple of others from dive rite. any idea if it is wise for me to get the other kind other then what you got, like maybe dual bladded instead of single??:)

For what it's worth....

I just started using a BP/wing and I have looked at and researched all three. I just plain didn't like OMS, especially the size. Call it a personal thing 'cuz I have no technical reason for that thinking. I bought the Dive Rite Rec wing mainly for the price, Halcyon price was quite a bit more. I do like the bungees on the inside because I can shape the wing to fit the warm diving I'm doing now and can release the bungee for a larger wing this winter. I see no valid reason against the bungees. If these things get caught on something, I'm in a position that means entanglement is the least of my worries!

The only difference, other than price, that I can see between the Dive Rite and Halcyon wings is the shape. DR is a horse shoe shape that will trap air on one side or the other in certain positions. That doesn't bother me because 1) I'm used to my old Zeagle Concept's same design and 2) I don't keep enough air in it to get trapped. The Halcyon wing is an elongated donut shape allows air to flow all around.

All three are very well made and good quality.

Originally posted by Rooster1
but I am thinking of getting Dive rite.
He had the rec wings like you have and and a couple of others from dive rite. any idea if it is wise for me to get the other kind other then what you got, like maybe dual bladded instead of single??:)

I have an Instructor/freind who uses the Transpac II with the double bladder Rec wing. He dives steel doubles and stages with a wetsuit. If your diving dry, you already have redundant lift, so a single bladder is fine.
Double bladders is another thing some people disagree with.

I wouldn't get the smaller trek wing unless you plan on never doing doubles.

Hope this helps,

Oh Boy,
Here we go again and again and again...

UP, where ARE you man?

"I somehow broke a plastic (delrin?) buckle, and didn't want that happening again"

Yes, this is what I have been hearing about for ages UP - Dlerin DOES break - as does Fastex, I assume?

Anways - back to the point.

Forget the OMS and DiveRite and go buy the Halcyon rig - you may pay a bit more, but its quality stuff and will last a long time. No gimmicks, no junk, no 'techie-looking' sales hype, just REAL quality dive gear for cave, wreck, deep or tech diving - just about anyhting you can throw their way - Halcyon can handle it.

PUG? Help here dude!

Seriously - and not to get this war all going - my opinion, go the Halcyon route - its vastly superior to OMS and Dive Rte.

Good luck man!

Originally posted by Scuba446

"I somehow broke a plastic (delrin?) buckle, and didn't want that happening again"

Yes, this is what I have been hearing about for ages

Seriously - and not to get this war all going - my opinion, go the Halcyon route - its vastly superior to OMS and Dive Rte.

first, you haven't been around long enough to have been hearing anything for "Ages"

Second, how many Dive -Rite products (BP's, Wings, or harnesses) have you tried?? how many have you even seen??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom