How much weight do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wkyongae@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I will be snorkeling mostly and don't look to be diving anytime soon. So, here is my problem. I have a 7mm Tripple L wetsuit, 7mm gloves, and 3mm socks how much weight will I need. I weigh 195lbs stand 5'10" and have full foot fins. Went snorkeling on the 19th at a near-by island and could not go down no matter how hard I tried. So getting a crab or two was out.

I'd recommend starting with at least 10-12 pounds. Go up in 2 pound increments until you can exhale and drop easily. I assume your snorkeling in some cold water?

For example, in a full 7mm with a single tank and bp/w I use about 14 pounds. This was diving in about 55 degree water. I'm about 6'2 240#.

D.

How exactly do you plan to breathe?

Yes the water is cold here in the Puget Sound and the water runs around 50 or maybe a little less so snorkel time is not very long maybe 1 hr or less. Sounds like good advice I was planning on starting around 20lbs but 14lbs sounds better. I breath slowly.

Throw your wetsuit, gloves etc into a mesh bag and chuck into the water. Add weights till its just starts to sink. That will get you close to what you need - not allowing for your own bodies buoyancy or air pockets in the suit. Then put it on and do the exhale-sink inhale-float test and adjust accordingly.

I'll guess around 15 lb: what do we win if we get it right?

Cheers,
Rohan.

You said you were snorkling right?
So how do you plan to inhale, after you exhale and leave the surface?

Does pay to stay a bit positive when snorkeling...

So looks like I'm off to buy some lead for myself and my daughter and do the stuff and through thing Thanks.
I've never been one for correct terms when I say snorkeling I really mean skin diving or free diving even though I generally don't go beyond the 30 to 40 ft mark with alot of surface time in between.

Why don't you try posting this question on the freediving forum, or doing a search on that forum? I bet you'll get more help. Personally, I'd have no idea (but I'm a little curious) about accepted weighting techniques for freediving. Here's a guess, maybe you can tell me if I'm right...you want to be positive at the suface but neutral at your maximum depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom