SNUBA for Rent??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReneeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know of a shop that will rent SNUBA to certified students in the South Florida area?

I did SNUBA for a while in Hawaii. It did more damage to the reefs than any 10 hurricanes or tsunamis with no buoyancy apparatus and staff morons who overweighted all the customers.
Renee - this is a new one for me ---> What is a "certified student" anyway?

Tom Winters:
I did SNUBA for a while in Hawaii. It did more damage to the reefs than any 10 hurricanes or tsunamis with no buoyancy apparatus and staff morons who overweighted all the customers.

Tom

NAUI offers a certification program for SNUBA.

Renee

ReneeC:
Does anyone know of a shop that will rent SNUBA to certified students in the South Florida area?

Renee,

I have not seen a SNUBA in over a dozen years. But long hoses are available from many sources. We used to buy ours from Brownies in Ft Laud. The rest is easy to replicate. There was another rig made called an EZ Diver, but they are long gone too.

Chad

I would think it would be great for the reefs as long as you have a 40' reef and a 20' SNUBA hose :cool:

Terry

Tom Winters:

ReneeC:
NAUI offers a certification program for SNUBA.
Wow - that's a new one on me. I did a search on NAUI's site but couldn't get any hits. Is the NAUI certification for instructors/DMs to work SNUBA or people to become actual card-carrying SNUBAdivers?
One good thing about SNUBA was since most of the instructors had the attention span of a distracted newt, they would have lost lots of divers but they were all tethered to the surface rafts and easy to find.
A 40'-deep reef would be ideal for SNUBA. There was a beautiful protected area of Waimanalo Beach Park that ranged from 5' to 18' with all sorts of delicate fringing corals growing there. That is, until SNUBA came through and leveled it. I dived there about two months after they started their beach op and was damn near physically ill at the sight of the damage.

Tom, It’s good that you bring light to the Snuba situation. I am the type of person that is always looking at innovative ways to introduce more people to diving in a safe and enjoyable manner.

My feeling is that the more people that we can get in the water, the more divers we will have and then the whole scuba industry benefits--from gear sales to training to travel--everyone.

The problem as I see it is that there are fringe scuba technologies that don't understand how important it is to be able to control their non-diving guest’s buoyancy. The point that you make about this one reef being destroyed in Hawaii is being done all over the world on a regular basis.

I had an experience at Atlantis in the Bahamas. I was snorkeling along when a Snuba group came by. The dive master (?) was leading two teenagers. I followed the trio throughout the dive. Luckily, the lagoon at Atlantis was only around 10 feet deep and has a sandy bottom. The dive master was in front of the two divers on snuba and rarely looked behind to see the two teenagers going to the surface and back down-over and over and over again.

Anyway...my personal opinion is that the scuba operations that are operating in sensitive areas should be required to ensure that their guests are not reaching the bottom.

The good news is that there are nationally recognized training agencies supporting surface scuba programs. Disney has two--one at the huge aquarium and one at Sharks Reef at Typhoon Lagoon. These programs are supported by NAUI through their
Skin Diving Instructor certification. These surface scuba programs introduce thousands of guests to the diving world with 0 impact on the environment.

I've never seen it on a boat but I've been told that So. Fla. Diving Headquaters (Pompano) does alot with SNUBA. You could also check with Lighthouse Dive (same building).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom